Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why there is a hole in my dash (1970 SS w/dummy lights) between the lighter and the radio?

I was just on e-bay and I saw another 1970 dash with the hole filled, seller said it was from an accessory. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 72 that had the same hole. I found a hole cutter that was the exact diameter as the opening in my tri-guage setup and <cringe> Cut the openings to fit those guages in those openings. Turned out pretty cool. I can see the Oldschool types wincing when I said that... :) It beats a hole with nothing there...and was a great place to install the guages way I see it.

Scott

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Since I believe the power top switch (convertible) went between the the radio volume/on/off knob and the steering column area, I think that the cut-out would be indeed EITHER the rear window DEFOGER or the rear window DEFROSTER. Yes, two different things.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the hole is exactly where you say it is, then you have a dash from a convertible. That's where the power top hole was placed. The rear window de-fogger was next to the steering column. I have a 70' drop-top, and that's how it's set up. Steve

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I guess I should have given more detail in my first post. The hole is very small, does not look like it was part of the dash originally. Almost like someone had a screw there to mount something.

What made me ask the question is when I saw anther dash (e-bay) with the same hole, but this person filled it. It could just be a coincidence.

Thanks, Any more ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The only other thing that comes to mind is Monte Carlo. IF it had the monte woodgrain removed there would be several small holes not just the one you mention.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where would the other holes be if it was originally a Monte Carlo dash? I don't think it is but you never know.

Thanks for your help!
Mike

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Sounds like a Monte's dash to me also, especially with the "Idiot" lights you mention. Are YOU sure it's a REAL SS and not a clone car?? A friend has one in his '72 will have to go and count the "holes". I think there are 6 total though and not quite 1/8" in size where the woodgrain fascia attached.

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
If the dash is from a 70-71 monte, the easiest hole to spot, and the hardest to fill, is right through the "wiper washer" lettering. If there is a hole there, it is a definate monte dash. If not, maybe someone just had a toggle switch there or something. The idiot light dash was standard with the SS, so that would not point to the dash being from a monte.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
446 Posts
A screw hole? Fill it and forget it.

I have to disagree with others though regarding the placement of the rear window defogger switch. On my 70 SS 396 with build sheet (Atlanta), my rear window defogger switch is between the radio and cigarette lighter. Now, my build sheet shows this as a factory option, so unless different plants installed the switches in different locations, that's where I believe the switch would be.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The location of the Rear window defog. switch and the conv. top switch has been seen in either place.Though most have them placed in the location howell has said.
People built these cars,so they were not always consistant.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.