Team Chevelle banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, stupid question.
Back to the basics.
I bought seat covers for my 71's buckets and plan to do the recover myself.
I bought the hog ring pliers and a bunch of hog rings, and also a book on auto upolstery.
the book assumes you know how to hog-ring.

I Dont !! how exactly do you use these things. Does the hog ring attach the vinyl to the frame? do you puncture the vinyl ?? just how do you use these things???

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Just use the pliers to grip the ends of the ring. As you squeeze the ring the grooves in the pliers push the ends toward each other closing the gap.

Yes, you need to punch thru the upholstry edge and the seat frame, other side of upholstry, etc. Most places will not be seen or there is a guide wire running in the welt you hook on to,

------------------

Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/chevy.htm
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Rick,
If the seat covers are still on the seats you'll see how the hog rings were used when you cut them off. Don't toss the original covers too soon. There may be factory wire in them you'll need to reuse. This is what helped secure the covers to the seat frame. In some cases the new covers use a paper rolled dowel to replace the wire. If the wire is in the original cover use it instead of the paper dowel, it holds much better.

Ed C.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
you could probably make money hog ringing kids ears, noses, etc..a lot of kids I see nowadays look like they fell in a tackle box face first, so just charge a few bucks and stick a hog ring here and there!

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
61 impala bubbletop
TC member #493

1 - 5 of 5 Posts