Chevelles.com banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
I’m part of the younger crowd being only 40. All I’ve ever wanted since I was 5 was a Chevelle. I now have one in my garage. It’s a time machine, taking me back to an era that was long gone by the time I was legal to operate a motor vehicle. When I was in high school, everyone wanted an IROC or a Fox Mustang. I had posters of Chevelles, plastic models of Chevelles, I’d buy the Auto Trader Classics on the first day it came out looking for affordable Chevelles. Time marched on. This past summer, we were in a place where we could buy an affordable Chevelle. 22 years later, I got one.

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Maybe its location? Cant give parts away!

One too many insults over the last few days by yet another chronic time wasting texter.

Nobodys got any money.

No worries, They'll go for 2 new phones and a couple tattoos.
:thumbsup: Truth...most pretend to be interested just to sell it on CL before youre even in the ground.
Lots of ads like that on CL. Kids havent one ounce of respect for someone hanging onto something nice and handing it down.
Gone in 60 seconds!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Maybe its location? Cant give parts away!

One too many insults over the last few days by yet another chronic time wasting texter.

Nobodys got any money.

:thumbsup: Truth...most pretend to be interested just to sell it on CL before youre even in the ground.
Lots of ads like that on CL. Kids havent one ounce of respect for someone hanging onto something nice and handing it down.
Gone in 60 seconds!
Craigslist isn’t a good platform for many parts. By using Craigslist you are selling into the local market, that’s problematic for everything that isn’t rather generic and will fit a range of cars or something that isn’t in high demand. What parts are you selling and for how much?

Steve R

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I was recently at the NSRA northeast show a couple of weekends ago. I didn't bring my "66 chevelle but I brought my Factory Five "33 hot rod I built. I'm only 45 years old and I had quite a few people come up to me and say "your'e a little young for that car aren't you" even the old farts realize this is a dying hobby. I couldn't help but notice the median age was around 65 years old. Not good. when did cars become not cool?

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Not many folks driving a 33 hot rod that dont have gray hair these days.
The only thing dying are the old farts.
The cars are still cool...the 65 year olds just dont want to share the cars yet
because they still make them feel say 45 years old or younger.
These cars will always be desirable for many as the styling of many cars from
the era is just plain cool!
Rat Rodding...you just got to love them guys and the work they do on that stuff.
Thats what I call a hobby...some look like a constant battle to be working on.
Jeremy, have to say old folks are proud of your efforts also.
Over 50 and you join the old folks crowd on the other side of the hill!

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
When FB and the me too look at me online thing got popular.

Whens the last time anyone saw a kid mowing a lawn or playing football in the street?
Not in at least 20 years....I've never thought about it, but you're right. There's just so much that was right with the world in our time. I'd hate to think our parents felt the same way, but that's exactly how they felt. There used to be a term "shut-in", and now it seems to be self inflicted.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Not in at least 20 years....I've never thought about it, but you're right. There's just so much that was right with the world in our time. I'd hate to think our parents felt the same way, but that's exactly how they felt. There used to be a term "shut-in", and now it seems to be self inflicted.
I haven’t been to a car show in 20+ years so I don’t know what’s happening in that world. However, the staging lanes at the local tracks Wednesday night bracket race has a large number of 20-30 year olds. They aren’t particularly interested in racing, but are there to see how fast their cars will go. The track runs a weekly drift event on the same night they run the brackets. That is consists almost exclusively of people in their 20’s, they also draw about 4 times as many spectators as the drags do. You see lots of young adults that are obviously in car clubs going places in groups or hanging out in parking lots of restaurants, there are a lot of Chargers, Challenger, Mustang GT’s and to a lesser extent Camaro’s. The import fad largely died out about 10 years ago, but you still see the occasional WRX and Evo, Jeeps are popular especially the lifted 4 door CJ street wheeler. Things are just changing, maybe slowing down, but by no means dying.

Steve R

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why wouldn't someone want one? The Chevelle my father and I are building has a 427, but it had a 427 in it, and an M22. The cost to rebuilt the motor, add a new ignition, and headers, wasn't too prohibitive.

If it were a sbc car to begin with, 0% chance I wouldn't have gone LS with it.

Kinda noodling through what a '66 ElCo with an LS would look like, and we're still 2-3 months away from finishing this project.

The biggest obstacle is paint and body work, can't imagine that coming in at less than $25k, and that's if we get really, really lucky with whatever starting point we find.

That's what is keeping the hobby down, the cost of body work. And I don't begrudge the shops what they charge, for the most part. The shop that did the Chevelle had a 4-6 month wait for a full resto paint and body job. Worth it, they are great, but, ooph. I'm 38, couldn't have done that 10 years ago.

Cheers
Greg
Oh I'm ready for a nice LS setup I'd be super happy with a reliable 400hp LS based engine . BTW you are so right its definitely the body work thats the most expensive . I don't know how people can afford to finish cars in 2 years mines gonna take a lifetime to finish .

·
Registered
101 Posts
BTW there was some Chevelle meet up and cruise thing going on last Sunday. I couldn't go my daughter was sick but I saw the turnout on Social Media and there was bunch of Chevelles there . I didnt realize there was that many in the bay area . I dont think the hobby is dead . Not yet anyway.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts