Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been slowly working on '68. I am to the point now that I need to start the engine, but I cant. I have a new battery, and the lights work so thats not the problem. When I turn the key nothing happens. Not a sounds or click, nothing. Does anyone know where I should look (what wire(s))? Also, I have seen someone start my car with a screwdriver. How do you do that?

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
I has a similar problem when I first had the goodies together. It turned out to be a dead wire going to the ignition. Then we found that the neutral safety switch on my floor console had to be replaced as well.

There are so many possibilities, but if "someone" started your car with a screw driver then if it was at the switch (ignition) then you may have a bad switch. It might help if you tell us where he started the car with the screw driver. It would put us in the right area maybe.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS. :D
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Team Chevelle #37 - Gold Member

·
Registered
339 Posts
Generally you take the screwdriver and connect the top big terminal on the starter solenoid with the inner small terminal, the one close to the engine. Then you throw the screwdriver away since it is melted all to hell. tom

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
There should be a small wire (fusible link it is called) running from the (+) battery post to a terminal block near the radiator. It this is toast, or isn't connected, it results in the same symptoms you are describing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Actually, if the fusible link was nuked, the lights would not work. Ok, KiknSS, the first thing you're gonna need is a test light, a voltmeter, or some device that can measure the presence of electricity. You can get a testlight for like $4 at the autoparts store if you don't have one. Begin at the starter, first check to see if you have power to the big wire on the starter. If not, your main power feed is (somehow) bad. Try cleaning the terminals on the battery or getting a whole new cable. There should be two other wires connected to the starter, a 12 or 14 guage purple wire, and a thin pinkish wire in a white sheath. have someone turn the key while you check the purple one for power. if you get power to the purple one, be sure that is connected to the "S" terminal (i think) on the starter. If it's hooked up and gets power and you still get nothing, your starter/solenoid is busted. Depending on whether your car is a column shift or console shift, there should be two large purple wires connecting to a switch, either on top of the column or inside of the console. when you turn the key, you should get power to one of these terminals. If turning the key does nothing, then your ignition switch is probably the cause of the problem. If turning the key does give you power to one of the purple wires, then your neutral safety switch is most likely at fault.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: drive.to/chevelle
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
If your 68 model is wired similar to my 71, you should have a 10 gauge wire splitting off the battery positive cable lead and connecting to a terminal in front of the battery. (This is what Coppertop is describing). You may have neglected to make this connection during installation of the battery or it may be corroded. On my 71, this is the power supply to the ignition system. I don't know if yours is the same, but it is something to look for. If the ignition feed does not come off the batery terminal as I've described it to you, it will come off the the positive post of the starter. Be sure to use fuse link wire, not copper wire. About 50 amps capacity should do it.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 06-15-99).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for all the information guys (or gals). I will print all this stuff and use it as a reference. I'm sure its nothing big, just something small I need to find. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.