Team Chevelle banner

Hiring a Service to Find My Chevelle Malibu Recommendations

2638 Views 96 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  123pugsy
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in search for my dream 1970,1971, or 1972 Chevy Malibu as original as possible for cruiser car.

A few team members recommended I hire a someone or service to assist me with the process of selecting the car who is more experience with these classic cars inspections then I am currently. Unfortunately, I just do not have all the classical car or mechanical experience yet of selecting the right classic car of decent quality per my budget, and I fear making a costly long lasting mistake. Yes, I think I can select the right car for me, but best to be get it right the first time for myself and get quality car, and learn from there by letting someone or some service who has far more experience in the process then I do. I will still keep on searching on my own of course, but I would not mind exploring help as well.

After I get car, I can come back to the forum to assist with mechanical/maintenance work I have to do.

Question:

1. Can you please recommend a classic car buying service or someone with integrity and people skills that select classic cars for owners?

A google search returned the following:

Thanks in advance.
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
And just another reason NOT to buy a classic from a dealer.
First off I assume their cars are insured. If not, they should be. Second a $1K deposit isn't going to do squat if the test driver wrecks the car. Lastly requiring a nonrefundable deposit may not even be enforceable and definately is not on the up and up. If I were you I wouldn't go back there but would make sure I let them know why.
Good Morning blm,

In addition, that dealer told me that Compare Pre-Purchase Used Car Inspection Types is not allowed to inspect their cars for whatever reason. lol

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finding a restored car nowadays that will not need much but maintenance will run you 40-60k nowadays. I bet if you look at ones that sold in 30-40k range was an ad early 2020 or older.

One you posted was a “survivor” which usually means no restoration. It’s also a V6. It’s at 25k with reserve not met so what is actual number on car? [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morning FORDvsCHEVY,

Yes, that is what I a seeing in my search as well about 35-60K for something decent. A few years ago, I see the prices of Malibus was like $25K-$35K

· Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Good Morning blm,

In addition, that dealer told me that Compare Pre-Purchase Used Car Inspection Types is not allowed to inspect their cars for whatever reason. lol
Very sad to hear that about Gateway. I still might stop by their showroom in the future just to see the quality of their inventory. If their cars are not "as advertised" in my opinion, I will understand why they will not allow a test drive or 3rd party vehicle inspection.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Good Morning blm,

That's very innerestin, I tell ya.............. the bastards know that the experts they use, know, which means they don't want guys in the know checking.

Make sense?

Hire them to go in and look. They need not say they're looking for a "friend" do they?

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,397 Posts
Hello blm,

Yes, I went to I went gatewayclassic out in Houston the other week. They do not let buyers test drive without a $1000 deposit, and if not buy lose deposit or go towards another car. I can ride in car with them while they drive up and down the drive way.

I check on Craiglist.
Honestly, that is not a 100% terrible policy... would deter the usual tire kickers/time wasters for sure. I would bet that $500 cash would get the same thing done if you showed up in person though.

As a private seller I will not let someone test drive a classic I'm selling until i have a very good feeling they are a serious buyer and or deposit in hand... and even then I'm weary. In my experience most buyers have been 100% fine with it. People into classic cars 'get it'.

No offence to the OP, but I would NEVER let someone who obviously had no clue what they are looking at, test drive one of my cars just to decide if they really like 50 year old cars.

I personally have not had a bad experience selling, and I've bought and sold a bunch of classics in the last 20 years- but I know people who have had potential "buyers" do stupid stuff on purpose while test driving- which is why I'm extremely cautious about it.

Back to the $1000 test drive policy that your local dealer has... Seriously that $1000 would be a good investment if you can go and test drive several of their cars.
Especially if you can return LATER and test drive again, or test drive others.
This is something I would strongly consider since most private sellers are not going to be willing to let you "figure out what you want" in their car..

Its ok to get buddy buddy with a dealer... and come back again and a gain to look some more/test drive again, even if you have no intention of buying something at their inflated dealer prices.
People do that all the time, and honestly that's really what a dealership is for.

<edit> just caught up on the following posts... i 100% agree, super shady if they are unwilling for someone to come onsite to inspect the car at the buyers expense...

· Registered
857 Posts
Find the most original untouched car possible. Find a rust free original paint car if possible. Find something with a bone stock unmodified drivetrain. A car that has been hot rodded will more than likely be a headache for you. Cars with shiny fresh paint are generally hiding unknown issues... body filler.. etc.. A nice clean original un-modified car is easy to drive and maintain. The car might not be your favorite color... but the overall quality of the car will be worth it. You should be able to find what I described in your price range. JMWO

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Very sad to hear that about Gateway. I still might stop by their showroom in the future just to see the quality of their inventory. If their cars are not "as advertised" in my opinion, I will understand why they will not allow a test drive or 3rd party vehicle inspection.
Good Morning Pat,

Yes I agree. Not sure I see the big deal with 3rd party vehicle inspection from customer choosing.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Find the most original untouched car possible. Find a rust free original paint car if possible. Find something with a bone stock unmodified drivetrain. A car that has been hot rodded will more than likely be a headache for you. Cars with shiny fresh paint are generally hiding unknown issues... body filler.. etc.. A nice clean original un-modified car is easy to drive and maintain. The car might not be your favorite color... but the overall quality of the car will be worth it. You should be able to find what I described in your price range. JMWO
Hello 70RAIII,

Thanks for the response. I agree I agree I agree I agree I agree I agree.

I agree fully to what you said and highlight it in red as well. I agree with this. A hot rod for me will be a big mistake for me. I do not want all that fancy stuff. Even a 307 engine is perfectly fine by me.

This past weekend, I realized this same thing,..., as close to simple and original as possible. No modification cause the modification could have been done wrong and give me headache. A simple SBC or BBC crate engine or original engine is perfectly fine by me. No LS engine either. I do not understand anything about those LS or super duper engines and it gets very confusing trying understand and hard to trust someone did the LS swap correctly. Just seems like extra stuff and complexity.

I have increased my color wants/selection to see more cars. I am coming to terms that the grey color I want, I may not get. I am have been liking the gold, light blue, light green, and black as well. But you right, finding quality is upmost importance. I can always repaint later on with extra funds.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Honestly, that is not a 100% terrible policy... would deter the usual tire kickers/time wasters for sure. I would bet that $500 cash would get the same thing done if you showed up in person though.

As a private seller I will not let someone test drive a classic I'm selling until i have a very good feeling they are a serious buyer and or deposit in hand... and even then I'm weary. In my experience most buyers have been 100% fine with it. People into classic cars 'get it'.

No offence to the OP, but I would NEVER let someone who obviously had no clue what they are looking at, test drive one of my cars just to decide if they really like 50 year old cars.

I personally have not had a bad experience selling, and I've bought and sold a bunch of classics in the last 20 years- but I know people who have had potential "buyers" do stupid stuff on purpose while test driving- which is why I'm extremely cautious about it.

Back to the $1000 test drive policy that your local dealer has... Seriously that $1000 would be a good investment if you can go and test drive several of their cars.
Especially if you can return LATER and test drive again, or test drive others.
This is something I would strongly consider since most private sellers are not going to be willing to let you "figure out what you want" in their car..

Its ok to get buddy buddy with a dealer... and come back again and a gain to look some more/test drive again, even if you have no intention of buying something at their inflated dealer prices.
People do that all the time, and honestly that's really what a dealership is for.

<edit> just caught up on the following posts... i 100% agree, super shady if they are unwilling for someone to come onsite to inspect the car at the buyers expense...
Hello Rambo,

Good advice. I have no issues with dealers. Good people.

I agree 1000% plus another 1000% what you said. I can fully respect someone not allowing anyone to drive their classic. I would not let anyone drive my car either

Paying the $1000 is a decent investment for me at the local dealer to test drive. I will kindly pay it.

I respect people time and do not want to waste anyone precious time testing out their car to figure out what I want personally want knowing I will not buy it. I would not want someone doing that to me.

The potential seller driving me around in their car is more than enough for me , and I respect that fully.

· Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Good Morning Pat,

Yes I agree. Not sure I see the big deal with 3rd party vehicle inspection from customer choosing.
Does the dealer really have to know that the "3rd party vehicle inspector" is in fact a 3rd party inspector? I might want to keep my identity private.

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,397 Posts
Does the dealer really have to know that the "3rd party vehicle inspector" is in fact a 3rd party inspector? I might want to keep my identity private.
exactly... "I want my friend here to help me check out this car"

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
exactly... "I want my friend here to help me check out this car"
I assume that would be considered a third party inspector.
The “no third party inspector” rule is dishonest in my opinion. So they want someone to buy a $50K car and one can’t drive it without paying a non refundable $1K deposit and can’t have someone else inspect the car.
That is just crazy to me. I mean these people are supposed to be professional sales people. They can’t tell someone just wanting a joy ride from a serious shopper.
Goodolboy, did they inform you of this ride only policy verbally or was it printed somewhere. No offense but they would be able to tell you are unfamiliar with their car almost immediately. Maybe this was only a policy towards you.

· Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Would you consider a convertible? Just saw a nice 71 posted for sale at a local garage.

Reactions: just_a_goodoboy

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
One you posted was a “survivor” which usually means no restoration. It’s also a V6. It’s at 25k with reserve not met so what is actual number on car? [emoji2369]
Why is it all our 6 cylinder 64 to 72 Chevelles get referred to as a V6 ? It is NOT a V6 for the record its true designation would be an L6 because its a 6 cylinder in a straight ahead configuration . Chevy made millions of 6 cylinder cars starting in the 1920's and all their 6's were straight 6 cylinder engines. (with the exception of the Corvair)

· Registered
247 Posts
Why is it all our 6 cylinder 64 to 72 Chevelles get referred to as a V6 ? It is NOT a V6 for the record its true designation would be an L6 because its a 6 cylinder in a straight ahead configuration . Chevy made millions of 6 cylinder cars starting in the 1920's and all their 6's were straight 6 cylinder engines. (with the exception of the Corvair)
Because then I wouldn’t have to explain what an inline 6 was….

41 - 60 of 97 Posts