Team Chevelle banner

Hiring a Service to Find My Chevelle Malibu Recommendations

2644 Views 96 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  123pugsy
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in search for my dream 1970,1971, or 1972 Chevy Malibu as original as possible for cruiser car.

A few team members recommended I hire a someone or service to assist me with the process of selecting the car who is more experience with these classic cars inspections then I am currently. Unfortunately, I just do not have all the classical car or mechanical experience yet of selecting the right classic car of decent quality per my budget, and I fear making a costly long lasting mistake. Yes, I think I can select the right car for me, but best to be get it right the first time for myself and get quality car, and learn from there by letting someone or some service who has far more experience in the process then I do. I will still keep on searching on my own of course, but I would not mind exploring help as well.

After I get car, I can come back to the forum to assist with mechanical/maintenance work I have to do.

Question:

1. Can you please recommend a classic car buying service or someone with integrity and people skills that select classic cars for owners?

A google search returned the following:

Thanks in advance.
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm not being mean here but it's a recipe for disaster with zero previous knowledge, very little mechanical ability and financing a classic car - it's the perfect storm.
Good Morning Alwhite00,

Yes, that scenario could be the perfect storm coming, especially since I am financing the car, zero previous knowledge, etc etc etc.

question:

1. What would you recommend to calm or mitigate that perfect storm, from your point of view? What is your answer?

· Registered
9,294 Posts
Good Morning Alwhite00,

Yes, that scenario could be the perfect storm coming, especially since I am financing the car, zero previous knowledge, etc etc etc.

question:

1. What would you recommend to calm or mitigate that perfect storm, from your point of view? What is your answer?
Like I have said in numerous threads of yours. Find something, ANYTHING that is within driving distance from you and LOOK 🧐 at it, drive it, smell it whatever just to be damn sure you know what you are getting into. Its not like a modern vehicle in any way.

The more you check out in person the more knowledge you will gain. Even if its rusty you can learn from it as you will know where they rust and if any shoddy work has been performed to cover up said rust.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Like I have said in numerous threads of yours. Find something, ANYTHING that is within driving distance from you and LOOK 🧐 at it, drive it, smell it whatever just to be damn sure you know what you are getting into. Its not like a modern vehicle in any way.

The more you check out in person the more knowledge you will gain. Even if its rusty you can learn from it as you will know where they rust and if any shoddy work has been performed to cover up said rust.
Thank you so much Alwhite00,

I appreciate it. Yes you right. I need to get that feeling to see how it feels driving something near 50 years old. You right. I will check locally on craiglist and see what they find. Maybe ask one of the local forum members can I drive their car. Lol, pay them or treat them to a nice steak dinner for a 10 minute ride.

You right. You right.

· Registered
942 Posts

I 100% agree with this. Go look at some cars. stop making lists of things you are "going to do", or going to "ask people". I feel like you are heading in a bad way if you just keep picking out cars in random locations and thinking the internet will be able to tell you if its a good car or not.

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
The gateway classic dealer here in Houston, will not let me test drive, they will drive it for me.
That is ludicrous. So you can't drive the car unless you buy it? Even if I was willing to buy a classic car from a dealer which I never would, I certainly wouldn't buy one from a dealer that wouldn't let me test drive a car.

· Premium Member
14,483 Posts
Not quite the hands on experience you seem to need, but I suggest a subscription to Hemmings. Yes, its much cream of crop there and spendy, but you never know unless you look. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale

You can likely browse the classified for free.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That is ludicrous. So you can't drive the car unless you buy it? Even if I was willing to buy a classic car from a dealer which I never would, I certainly wouldn't buy one from a dealer that wouldn't let me test drive a car.
Hello blm,

Yes, I went to I went gatewayclassic out in Houston the other week. They do not let buyers test drive without a $1000 deposit, and if not buy lose deposit or go towards another car. I can ride in car with them while they drive up and down the drive way.

I check on Craiglist.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not quite the hands on experience you seem to need, but I suggest a subscription to Hemmings. Yes, its much cream of crop there and spendy, but you never know unless you look. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale

You can likely browse the classified for free.
Hello 427L88,

Thank you for the reference. I subscribed. I been checking out barnfinds too.

What I am learning I need to be prepared and ready to go and buy once my liking comes up. Cause they go fast.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I 100% agree with this. Go look at some cars. stop making lists of things you are "going to do", or going to "ask people". I feel like you are heading in a bad way if you just keep picking out cars in random locations and thinking the internet will be able to tell you if its a good car or not.
Hello 70montee,

I appreciate the response.

I understand your point. However, I live in Houston Texas and the car I want and looking for may not be in Houston Texas or near by. The 70-72 Malibu are all over the country. If I limit myself to Houston Texas only, I never get nothing. It will take forever.

Now if I see one in Houston or near by I like, me and my buddy @Pat_McNeil will go out inspect it together. Lol, maybe he wants a nice a steak dinner or a fee for his time. It will be well worth it, whatever he likes.

In addition, I have located a few local paid inspectors that can me as well if Pat is not available at the time. I have talk to mechanics, etc. So work is being done in background.

Once I see one I like, and its not in Houston Texas, I will just create a new thread and ask one of the members in that state or city nearby where the car is located and kindly ask if they can go and inspect the car for me for about $500 or whatever they want. If they team member like it, I buy it. Or fly out there and test drive it as well. Done and my search is over. I pay to get the car delivered.

But for now, all I have is for you folks to help me. Sorry, but I have to keep on asking you folks all the questions. Yall, have all the answers and experience for me. Yes, its a long process and lot of work and research, but it is fun for now.

So I know my questions or a bit elementary and maybe even repetitive in a way, just bare with me please. Trust me, I am VERY grateful for this forum, and thank you all. I have a learned alot in such a short time. ALOT.

But as you recommend by you and others, I will find something to test drive to get my feet wet.

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
They do not let buyers test drive without a $1000 deposit, and if not buy lose deposit or go towards another car. I can ride in car with them while they drive up and down the drive way.
And just another reason NOT to buy a classic from a dealer.
First off I assume their cars are insured. If not, they should be. Second a $1K deposit isn't going to do squat if the test driver wrecks the car. Lastly requiring a nonrefundable deposit may not even be enforceable and definately is not on the up and up. If I were you I wouldn't go back there but would make sure I let them know why.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
First off I assume their cars are insured. If not, they should be. Second a $1K deposit isn't going to do squat if the test driver wrecks the car. Lastly requiring a nonrefundable deposit may not even be enforceable and definately is not on the up and up. If I were you I wouldn't go back there but would make sure I let them know why.
Hello blm,

Yes, that is their rules for sure. I ask twice. I will keep on checking around houston and Texas area.

· Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Like this one.

This one would have been perfect for me. All original nice looking and regular smooth engine. I only want hard top. not vinyl , but this is the type I like. something plain jane. not all that high power stuff and cam and super power stuff. I can upgrade per my liking later.

If this car is still for sale and solid with little or no rust issues, I would have jumped all over it.

Reactions: just_a_goodoboy

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If this car is still for sale and solid with little or no rust issues, I would have jumped all over it.
Hello pnugene,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, after some research, I am seeing the closer I can get to original and less modification with solid with little or no rust issues, the better. I think the cars do not last long once they are up for sale.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Hello blm,

Yes, I went to I went gatewayclassic out in Houston the other week. They do not let buyers test drive without a $1000 deposit, and if not buy lose deposit or go towards another car. I can ride in car with them while they drive up and down the drive way.

I check on Craiglist.

WTF????????????????? o_O :unsure:

· Premium Member
241 Posts
Good o boy,

I can help you if you run across something down here. I’m in redland area south Miami Florida. so if you see something say 1hr to 1-1/2 from 33031 let me know I can try to help. By the way I’m definitely not any expert but been tinkering on cars since 1980 And grew up watching rust… actually I’m starting to rust myself 😬 anyways I’m down here if ya need me.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Good o boy,

I can help you if you run across something down here. I’m in redland area south Miami Florida. so if you see something say 1hr to 1-1/2 from 33031 let me know I can try to help. By the way I’m definitely not any expert but been tinkering on cars since 1980 And grew up watching rust… actually I’m starting to rust myself 😬 anyways I’m down here if ya need me.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you times 1000 more thank you

I will definitely contact you if I see something in Florida area. Thank you

· Registered
173 Posts
I don’t disagree. But…. They may require a deposit because otherwise they’d get tons of people that just want to test drive a hot rod with no intentions of buying.
My guess, $1000 weeds out a lot of bored people that won’t ever buy. A serious buyer with verification of funds can probably (should be able to) drive whatever they are interested in.

· Registered
248 Posts
Hello All,

I am seeing just from searching online, I will have to wait to find the Malibu I want and in price range and in color I want. They are out there, just sold already. Yall are right, none of them will come perfect.
Finding a restored car nowadays that will not need much but maintenance will run you 40-60k nowadays. I bet if you look at ones that sold in 30-40k range was an ad early 2020 or older.

One you posted was a “survivor” which usually means no restoration. It’s also a V6. It’s at 25k with reserve not met so what is actual number on car? [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 97 Posts