Team Chevelle banner

Hiring a Service to Find My Chevelle Malibu Recommendations

2638 Views 96 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  123pugsy
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in search for my dream 1970,1971, or 1972 Chevy Malibu as original as possible for cruiser car.

A few team members recommended I hire a someone or service to assist me with the process of selecting the car who is more experience with these classic cars inspections then I am currently. Unfortunately, I just do not have all the classical car or mechanical experience yet of selecting the right classic car of decent quality per my budget, and I fear making a costly long lasting mistake. Yes, I think I can select the right car for me, but best to be get it right the first time for myself and get quality car, and learn from there by letting someone or some service who has far more experience in the process then I do. I will still keep on searching on my own of course, but I would not mind exploring help as well.

After I get car, I can come back to the forum to assist with mechanical/maintenance work I have to do.

Question:

1. Can you please recommend a classic car buying service or someone with integrity and people skills that select classic cars for owners?

A google search returned the following:

Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Simple question here. What is your budget? No joke… Cash, finance? Lots of threads posted previously here by ya.

No classic car dealers care about your smarts on the car. They do care about you paying the list price, that’s all.
Hello 70power,

Thank you for the response. please ask me any question you like.

I am really hoping I can get something between $30K and 40K max. This is why I do not want SS, and went toward normal Malibu with no extras. I will be getting a loan from bank.

· Registered
7,285 Posts
what's your location finding local car clubs (chevy related) or local people who knows chevelles might be a better solution. those services are too generic and if you don't know the ins and outs you're going to miss something

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
There are plenty of cars out there just take your time and make a choice then post a link to it here and let the TC people help you out.
Do Not waste money on a site that helps you find a car as you can do that yourself. That is unless you're rich and in that case send me some cash and a new cell phone :D and I'll find you a great car. :cool:

· Premium Member
14,483 Posts
How did I reckon you never really intended to kick any tires? I don't know of any , except for a fella in PA that consigns really high end oem stuff. Good luck!
You may find someone here to help for a modest fee.

· Premium Member
4,306 Posts
I agree with Keith on this.

You are going to be miles and money ahead by finding a willing, local knowledgeable individual to work with you.

If you try to enlist a "service", your next question is going to be how do I know the service I enlisted is reputable? (Dog chasing tail scenario).

There are some individuals (known here as well) that ARE TOPS in their field and reputable. But they are going to cost you $$$$ and they mostly focus on the high end numbers cars with an "SS" in the nameplate....

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are plenty of cars out there just take your time and make a choice then post a link to it here and let the TC people help you out.
Do Not waste money on a site that helps you find a car as you can do that yourself. That is unless you're rich and in that case send me some cash and a new cell phone :D and I'll find you a great car. :cool:
Hello 71350SS,

Thank you I appreciate that fully sir.

I will just continue that. I been doing alot of research, I know what I want.

lol hahahah, nope, I am not rich at all man. Just want a quality affordable car.

I did Alot of reading this weekend and expanded my research and got my budget figured out what I really want to spend, and want I really simply want. That cut down ALOT of options. Removing SS cars from the search, ultimately helped, and increases the search from 1970 to 1972 helped.

Thanks you

· Registered
997 Posts
hi
Check the vehicle thoroughly . Major pre purchase check

FULL operational check paint / body and mechanical

compressions
oil pressure
wheel alignment check
+ full check inside out side ,,,everything

labour time
full body and mechanical 2 hrs
compression wet and dry and oil pressure 2hrs
wheel align check 3/4 hr

These check will always save money

· Registered
491 Posts
Spring Summer is not far away. Go to your local car shows, swap meets, Chevy events in your local. What your looking for is a plain jane run of the mill malibu, don't know how important numbers matching is for you for a malibu that would not be a deal breaker for me. Don't forget your looking for a 50 year old car. I don't care how pretty or original it is it's gonna need some kind work and parts replaced. I make a list of what to look for when I go buy any car and check off items. First make sure they have the car title, and numbers jive on title to car. Before I head over to see car. I tell the seller I want to feel engine cold when I get there so I see how it starts cold. Pull oil and trans dip sticks check oil dirty, water, gritty. Where the car is parked looks for leaks on the ground or around where it could be parked. Take 2 jack stands and a jack to look under neath car suspension and brakes, put your hands on all front suspension parts feel for looseness. Bring along a vacuum gauge to check engine condition,15 thru 20 inch of vacuum is ideal engine is healthy buy one or borrow it, you will tune with it when you purchase car. Check voltages with car running and everything on with a volt meter is also a good ideal, it will tell you condition of alternator and battery. Pull a spark plug and see how things are mixing. Try all electrical all lights, blow horn, wipers, heater, blower, radio. When you go for a test drive, start slow, check for pulling, harshness of ride. Listen for noises, with the radio off, better to go with day light to see body appearance and no rain. Water acts as a lubricant for suspension when it gets wet. Look at glass chipped, broken, cracked, windows roll up and down. Open and close all doors. Open hood look for leaks on engine above oil pan. Look for old or half filled bottles of oil, trans or power steering, brake fluid, antifreeze in engine bay or in the trunk. The most important tip I can give is don't act or get to excited for the car the seller can see this and wont want to let you try to haggle on defects you may find. Much of what I mentioned to check can be done by anyone who can drive a car. If its a pedigree car & big bucks then by all means get some help. Good luck with you purchase. Remember no car will be perfect.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spring Summer is not far away. Go to your local car shows, swap meets, Chevy events in your local. What your looking for is a plain jane run of the mill malibu, don't know how important numbers matching is for you for a malibu that would not be a deal breaker for me. Don't forget your looking for a 50 year old car. I don't care how pretty or original it is it's gonna need some kind work and parts replaced. I make a list of what to look for when I go buy any car and check off items. First make sure they have the car title, and numbers jive on title to car. Before I head over to see car. I tell the seller I want to feel engine cold when I get there so I see how it starts cold. Pull oil and trans dip sticks check oil dirty, water, gritty. Where the car is parked looks for leaks on the ground or around where it could be parked. Take 2 jack stands and a jack to look under neath car suspension and brakes, put your hands on all front suspension parts feel for looseness. Bring along a vacuum gauge to check engine condition,15 thru 20 inch of vacuum is ideal engine is healthy buy one or borrow it, you will tune with it when you purchase car. Check voltages with car running and everything on with a volt meter is also a good ideal, it will tell you condition of alternator and battery. Pull a spark plug and see how things are mixing. Try all electrical all lights, blow horn, wipers, heater, blower, radio. When you go for a test drive, start slow, check for pulling, harshness of ride. Listen for noises, with the radio off, better to go with day light to see body appearance and no rain. Water acts as a lubricant for suspension when it gets wet. Look at glass chipped, broken, cracked, windows roll up and down. Open and close all doors. Open hood look for leaks on engine above oil pan. Look for old or half filled bottles of oil, trans or power steering, brake fluid, antifreeze in engine bay or in the trunk. The most important tip I can give is don't act or get to excited for the car the seller can see this and wont want to let you try to haggle on defects you may find. Much of what I mentioned to check can be done by anyone who can drive a car. If its a pedigree car & big bucks then by all means get some help. Good luck with you purchase. Remember no car will be perfect.
Thank you very much lookback,

you are a life saver. I currently building a "What to Ask Owner" and "Car Inspection Check List" for myself in word document and definitely adding your checks.

I do plan to hire Vintage & Classic Car Pre-Purchase Car Inspection for an extra set of eyes as well. These cars are all over the USA.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi
Check the vehicle thoroughly . Major pre purchase check

FULL operational check paint / body and mechanical

compressions
oil pressure
wheel alignment check
+ full check inside out side ,,,everything

labour time
full body and mechanical 2 hrs
compression wet and dry and oil pressure 2hrs
wheel align check 3/4 hr

These check will always save money
Hello swampy 6x6,

Thank you for the response.

What do you mean by "compression wet and dry and oil pressure 2hrs" ? Can you please explain what this mean?

What do you mean by "wheel align check 3/4 hr"?

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello All,

I am seeing just from searching online, I will have to wait to find the Malibu I want and in price range and in color I want. They are out there, just sold already. Yall are right, none of them will come perfect.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like this one.

This one would have been perfect for me. All original nice looking and regular smooth engine. I only want hard top. not vinyl , but this is the type I like. something plain jane. not all that high power stuff and cam and super power stuff. I can upgrade per my liking later.

· Registered
997 Posts
hi
time/labour required to do check if u are paying someone else
engine cylinder compressions wet and dry and engine oil pressure check ..... 2hours
do dry compressions first
if greater difference in readings than 10% do a wet test
squirt 8 pumps oil in cylinder and recheck , if compression rises rings are worn .

wg

· Registered
9,294 Posts
Have you ever driven a 70-72 Chevelle? That should be job #1 to find ANY car for sale and take it for a drive and see if this is really what you want.

I'm not being mean here but it's a recipe for disaster with zero previous knowledge, very little mechanical ability and financing a classic car - it's the perfect storm.

I wish you luck but you should do this in steps before a transporter drops your dream car off in the driveway and you get 2 blocks down the street and realize that you made a big mi$$$take.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you ever driven a 70-72 Chevelle? That should be job #1 to find ANY car for sale and take it for a drive and see if this is really what you want.

I'm not being mean here but it's a recipe for disaster with zero previous knowledge, very little mechanical ability and financing a classic car - it's the perfect storm.

I wish you luck but you should do this in steps before a transporter drops your dream car off in the driveway and you get 2 blocks down the street and realize that you made a big mi$$$take.
Good Morning Alwhite00,

I appreciate the response. Please keep them coming.

I agree with you. I agree with you. The answer is No.

I driven one when I like 19 years old, for like 5 minutes. LOL, It was buddy of mine.

That is my goal for the next few weeks is to find a 70-72 Chevelle for sale here locally and take it for drive. The gateway classic dealer here in Houston, will not let me test drive, they will drive it for me.

A team member here on the forum, drove me around in his Chevelle El Camino and I enjoyed it. I had a 4-door 1983 Chevy Caprice for 4 years back in college, so I did some tinkering with it mechanically. I also had a 1969 Chevy Impala, I bought in Ebay, when I was like 20 years old, 350 engine, and it was stolen. LOL, I didn't do any car, review. Saw it on Ebay, and bought for like $4000. It was stolen.

I am realizing that this process will be a journey. Takes time.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts