Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Congratulations on your top ten finish !!!
That '69 sure didnt handle like that when it was new I bet ..
Sounds good too !!
Guy

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
That looked like fun. How long was the coarse?

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
879 Posts
That looks like a lot more fun than the flat open courses

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice sounding chevelle...my suspension is bone stock and definitely don’t drive like that....but that looks like a fun day...thanks for sharing that video

·
Premium Member
11,691 Posts
That was awesome. This may seem like a dumb question but here goes. I know the point of the obstacles is to slow one down, but why do they want to slow you down. Other hill climbs ive seen did not have any obstacles.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was awesome. This may seem like a dumb question but here goes. I know the point of the obstacles is to slow one down, but why do they want to slow you down. Other hill climbs ive seen did not have any obstacles.
It's a vintage-car-only event with minimal safety requirements. Mostly all street cars, a lot of convertibles and roadsters, and only lap belt and helmet required to pass tech.

It used to be organized by an Austin Healey club, so there's a lot of little British sportscars. That club didn't want the liability anymore, so they abandoned it, but a lot of the same people put it on with a new organization called Midwest Motoring.

·
Premium Member
16,017 Posts
Looks like a ton of fun!

( I cant give it throttle up a hill, it breaks em loose too easily.)

·
Super Moderator
15,903 Posts
Nice run Derek! I started off trying to make my wagon handle like that but never really got it there. But my GTO is my handling car and I have had a lot of fun with that. My Honda is actually more fun at autocross than anything else I own, but the GTO is much more fun on road courses.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice run Derek! I started off trying to make my wagon handle like that but never really got it there. But my GTO is my handling car and I have had a lot of fun with that. My Honda is actually more fun at autocross than anything else I own, but the GTO is much more fun on road courses.
Have you done anything to the GTO suspension? I ran our G8 on one autocross for after-event fun-runs (my wife ran it in the event) and I was 5 seconds slower on a 33-second course with the G8 compared to my Chevelle. That was on bone stock original suspension with 160k on it, and all season tires. I found the G8 to be really easy to drive at its limit and you could make it do anything you wanted to, everything just happened slower. With the soft suspension, it was kind of fun to feel the weight transfer around and change the balance in what felt like slow-motion.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations on your top ten finish !!!
That '69 sure didnt handle like that when it was new I bet ..
Sounds good too !!
Guy
There was a '72 Buick GSX clone there on stock suspension and 15" BFG Radial T/As. His best run was 20 seconds slower than mine. :)

That looks like a lot more fun than the flat open courses
Way more fun in many ways, but I really didn't push it as hard as I would on a flat open course.
In a cheaper and disposable car with better safety equipment, it would really be awesome!

Looks like a ton of fun!

( I cant give it throttle up a hill, it breaks em loose too easily.)
One guy brought out a Triumph drag car with a turbo'd Pontiac that runs 8s. He had the boost turned way down, but still looked like a handful to drive for the little bit I could watch before it disappeared up the hill.

There was a little bit of everything there. One of the coolest was a 1959 Lotus race car that looked really funny because the driver looked to be about 6'4" and his whole torso was above the body work of the car, and the windscreen might have only functioned to keep the bugs off his nipples. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,903 Posts
Have you done anything to the GTO suspension? I ran our G8 on one autocross for after-event fun-runs (my wife ran it in the event) and I was 5 seconds slower on a 33-second course with the G8 compared to my Chevelle. That was on bone stock original suspension with 160k on it, and all season tires. I found the G8 to be really easy to drive at its limit and you could make it do anything you wanted to, everything just happened slower. With the soft suspension, it was kind of fun to feel the weight transfer around and change the balance in what felt like slow-motion.
Yes, a lot but nothing too crazy. The GTO suspension has a lot of rubber items that weren't very good even when new. ALL of the suspension bushings have been upgraded except the rear lower control arm bushings. Everything in the front is poly except for the strut top bushings which are high durometer rubber. The rear cradle bushings are poly, the rear differential mount is upgraded to poly in a Harrop cover (provides a wider base of support and an increase in differential fluid capacity). Also, it has been lowered 20mm with Lovell's springs and I installed Koni adjustable shocks all around and added larger adjustable sway bars front and rear. I also added bigger adjustable toe rods in the rear. For a fat heavy car it handles pretty good on the Bridgestone RE11's. The GTOs are limited to a smallish tire without modifying the suspension and rolling the rear wheel opening lips, I'm stuck with 235/40-R18s.

You can see all my work here: Rich's Brazen Orange Metallic 2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation and Documentation Website

Here's a video of me on the road course in Hastings, NE:

And and outside view of a blast down the front straight:

To be fair to myself, I wasn't driving very aggressively in these videos since it was the first time on a road course with this car and the GTO brakes are great for the street, a little small for extended road course driving. I could smell them pretty bad even after two laps but regardless of that they never faded. They are stock size but with upgraded rotors with Hawk HPS pads and braided stainless steel lines and high temp DOT 4 brake fluid. It dynoed at 388 RWHP and 390 RWTQ on a very stingy dyno so probably somewhere around 445hp at the crank. I've removed a few unneeded components to lower the weight by maybe 30 pounds but these cars are heavy, mine is about 3960 pounds with me in it and a full tank of gas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts