Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious about this.

give a stock build up with avg. compression. what is the highest temp. a motor can get up to before stuff starts going to crap??

My brother has a 283SB w/305 heads in his Wrangler. (with all of the gearing it'll turn over all 4 12.5" tires!!) ANYHOW, He let it run one time wiht the electric fan off... walked away for ten minutes and came back to find the temp gauge at 250DEG. F.

Any of you seen higher numbers??

------------------
have now>>>>> am building
2.73 open 10bolt>>>>>>3.73 posi 12bolt
350>>>>396 w/nitrous
shooting for 12s in 1/4
college student budget!

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The biggest problem is going to be the 305 heads, all the late model heads are thin castings to reduce weight and wont take much heat to crack.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The 250deg. you saw was due to "heat soak". When you shut down a motor the water stops flowing(carring away heat)and the heat that is still in the metal continues to flow to the lowest tempture(1st law of thermodynamics). The heat from combustion flows through the piston through the rings through the cylinder walls into the water etc.etc. roughly stated.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
According to my 66's service manual, 245 deg is the maximum operating temp for a SBC. I'd take a look at the oil to see if it started breaking down. In fact, I'd change it anyway. Since engineers liks a safty factor, the engine may not have been harmed, but change that oil. As Chev64 said, the heads are the weak link here. If they are late model they could crack. If something seems amiss, get a pressure test done at a radiator shop.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Harley, I read it that the engine was running for 10 min without the fan running and reached 250 degs. Of course, you're correct about heat soak.

------------------
Pat Kelley

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harley, nice plug for the thermo knowledge

We changed the oil and checked all the other stuff... no problems. The 250 temp was just before shut off! I'm sure it rose to 260 after shut down... but it's a jeep so there is plenty of room to dissipate the heat. Our cars are like incubators for motor heat.

thanks all

------------------
350>>>>396 w/nitrous
shooting for 12s in 1/4
college student budget!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My small block 350 (see specs in my signature below)usually runs 220° max but rises up to 230-235° after it's shut-off. It's all stock, no late-model heads but it has an aluminum Edelbrock intake. I am going to be putting a stock cast-iron intake on soon- will that make it heat up more? Also, is 220° a little high for my engine?

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Robert, GM went to light casting in an attemp to reduce weight for fuel ecomony reasons. I'm guessing, but probably around 1974 or 75. It wasn't a very good idea. The weight/fuel saving were negligible and the heads became prone to cracking.

------------------
Pat Kelley

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SHAWN,

I may be a little over causious on the matter. But if my temp. gauge read 220 *F I would pull off the road and open up the radiator to check for fluid!

During the summer I run a 165 thermostat which mioght be a little low. BUT things get pretty hot below the mason dixon line.
During the winter I run a 180 thermostate to help the motor stay warm enough so my heater is usefull.

I would try posting about that 220 temp. see what the others say... tell if it is stock or built etc....

------------------
350>>>>396 w/nitrous
shooting for 12s in 1/4
college student budget!

·
Registered
37 Posts
220 is not overheating, and no damage will occur. 250 - 260 is getting there, but if the coolant didn't boil out, there should be no damage at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.