Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I replaced my old 63 amp alternator, with a custom 130 amp monster. Why??, I don't know, but I needed more than the 63.

This unit is a direct bolt in, uses factory wire hook-ups and the stock external voltage regulator.

After about two hours total running time with no problems, and an outputof 12-14 amps, I was warming the car up tonight. I had the headlights on and I was giving it about 1500 rpm's to warm it up and a headlight blew, then 10 seconds later the other blew. I looked down at the volt guage and it was pinned at 16+ volts, so I shut it down.

I'm thinking the regulator went, it is old, more than 11 years. If so, is it the fault of my alternator, I wonder if this will be a constant problem.

Any Ideas???

BTW, All underhood wiring is in mint condition, less than 2 yrs old.

Rob

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sound like regulator. I don't replace them with the old mechanical style anymore. Wells solid state #715. About $11.00 -$15.00 at the chain auto houses. You must ground the case to the core support for it to work.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Drop in fit. No cutting at all. The cover looks kind of cheap. Been meaning to swap covers on the one in my 64. Be sure to disconnect the battery when you install it. Give it a good ground through one of its feet or with a separate ground strap. It won't work by just installing it on the rubber wellnuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts