Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the alternator on my 67 Elcamino and kept the external voltage regulator, trying to save money for now, I never checked voltage before changing, the bearings were going bad in the old one and now checking at the battery with the engine running I have 15.65 volts, is this too high, I was wondering if I should change the regulator or leave it as is?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
That's pretty high, should be down around 14.2v, 14 to 14.6. I would replace it so it doesn't overcharge and boil your battery.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I think that the old books called for a charge rate in the 1.38-15.2 range so you are running a little high. Mine reads high but it is actually the gauge itself that is out. Might want to check that. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help,Iwas thinking I needed to change it, the voltmeter is brand new, so it's got to be the regulator. Where can you buy a Well's regulator, I've never heard of them?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a wells regulator from Autozone, installed it and charging at 14.3 volts, Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I might add that my volt meter was also new and reading high. I had it all mounted when I realized, while wiring it, that the wiring was the actual problem. About time to put the old 1969-70 Stewart-Warner gauge back in. :) Solid state regulator is the way to go. Didn't someone here use a Delco-Remy cover on a new solid state regulator for the authentic look?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I might add that my volt meter was also new and reading high. I had it all mounted when I realized, while wiring it, that the wiring was the actual problem. About time to put the old 1969-70 Stewart-Warner gauge back in. :) Solid state regulator is the way to go. Didn't someone here use a Delco-Remy cover on a new solid state regulator for the authentic look?
I've heard of that being done for those that want the original look. From what I recall it wasn't a big job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts