Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody recently purchased a high pressure power steering hose for a 1972 BBC car? I got one from NAPA....no go at the pump end the angle is wrong. Ordered from Rockauto...no go at the pump end!!!! Same exact hose and neither one fits. All the pumps are the same for BBC and SBC in 1971 and 1972 per my parts book. The issue is the bend at the pump, it is not the fittings. It is like the hard line that has the fitting on it is "clocked" about 40 degrees off where it should be. The RockAuto and the NAPA hose are dead nuts exactly the same and exactly wrong. I suspected that maybe I had used the SBC hose when the 454 went in so off to the store I went today. Still no score. Nothing I can buy so far looks at all like what I just took off.

I have all stock GM brackets holding this pump on the 454 in the stock position. The car WAS a 350 at one point and I converted it but for the life of me I cannot recall changing that high pressure line. I have tried an SBC hose from O'Riely, a BBC hose from Rockauto and a BBC hose from NAPA. No score on all three.

I am sure the brackets are right and I am sure the pump is right so something is hosed up (pun intended). There are no headers and no changes that require special routing...it is a bone stock 454 with stock brackets and exh. manifolds.

Anyone who has recently gotten a hose I would sure appreciate a source and a P/N. This car is as stock as it gets in the area of the power steering box and the pump. I cannot believe that every hose made in Mexico is screwed up by the same Mexican worker and I am dead on sure that I have all the right parts EXCEPT the darn hose. ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Any help appreciated...pics of the hose to pump connection on a BBC equipped car would sure be great. A vendor name and a P/N would be really great.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
When I had to replace that hose on my 71 small block car, I discovered that mine actually used the 72 hose (car was built in late 1971) - they are different. You might take yours with you and have them pull a 73 hose and see if it matches up. Or, they may be able to cross reference any numbers that may be on the hose.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had to replace that hose on my 71 small block car, I discovered that mine actually used the 72 hose (car was built in late 1971) - they are different. You might take yours with you and have them pull a 73 hose and see if it matches up. Or, they may be able to cross reference any numbers that may be on the hose.
Not sure there are any numbers anywhere on the hose...maybe but not sure. Today the kid (assistant mgr!!!!) at the store and I had more or less this same discussion that is typed above. He said "Well maybe someone put a different RACK in the car"! RACK for gods sake. Trouble is ya cannot really see what you are getting looking at pictures on the computer...ordering / returning and re-ordering is getting old and I don't want anything that is shipped like the Rockauto part cause ya gotta ship it back and I suppose pay the shipping. Silly sh---t like this makes me nuts. We put men on the moon how hard can this be? Any Pics of the hose that got the job done for you?

·
Gold Founding Member
64,088 Posts
Yep, I remember we found out about the ones that had the ends installed clocked wrong and had to return them but now I can't remember where we got them and where we went to get the correct ones so I'm not much help. I think that the bad ones came from Rock Auto and the correct ones came from O'Rielly Auto Parts but not sure about that.

71 and 72 should be the same if you don't get one of those that were made wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
When I needed new hoses for my 70, I got them from Ground Up. Originally a small block car, now a '69 big block. Bought the lines for a BB 70, and had no issues. Just looked on their site, and they seem to have specific pictures. Also show conversion kits, which might help you for reference.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Can't you just bend it a bit so it works? The cheap aftermarket hoses are almost never 100% right. The one I just put in my BB 66 with the jeep box was off at the pump end. I just bent it some and it was fine.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't you just bend it a bit so it works? The cheap aftermarket hoses are almost never 100% right. The one I just put in my BB 66 with the jeep box was off at the pump end. I just bent it some and it was fine.
Tell ya what if you can bend this enough w/o kinking it I will buy you a beer. It is about TWISTING the metal line like a lickerish stick because the metal end is clamped on to the rubber hose at say 12:00 when it should be at 3 O'clock.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I needed new hoses for my 70, I got them from Ground Up. Originally a small block car, now a '69 big block. Bought the lines for a BB 70, and had no issues. Just looked on their site, and they seem to have specific pictures. Also show conversion kits, which might help you for reference.
I hear ya but here is the thing...if they are wrong I gotta send em back and the hose assemblies from the places like Year One etc etc etc are almost 2x what they are selling for at R-Auto.

If I could look at a pic and be sure they were right ...OK then I would choke out the money...remember 2x the cost AND freight. I look at Pics in the parts book at the AP stores and it is impossible to tell how the metal hoses are clocked....too many twists and turns to really look close up in a 2 dimensional PIC. I am going to look at Ground Up but I sure would like to see what I am buying as opposed to seeing a PIC. It is a pet peeve of mine in the day of E-Shopping. Seems I am always doing something (not just with the car) where I need to see and lay hands on whatever I am going to use in the project du jour. Ah well nuff on that rant.

Hopefully someone with have a PIC of a hose of known origin. If I can see the way the hose comes outta the pumpon an installed hose I can then tell if the hose will work.

I think Dean might be onto something as far as the fact that they are made wrong from the get go. Just an aside the Rockauto hose and the NAPA hose were drop dead twins right down the numbers on the rubber hose. If those two hoses didn't come from the same shop somewhere in Mexico I will eat my hat.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
The hose I used from Autozone is the 80123. The one for a 71 is a 70263. They are definitely different hoses. I can't get pictures right now - too dark outside.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,703 Posts
I bought a high pres hose from O'reillys for my 68 with a 454, part #70255 and 70911, from my rec it looks like I returned 70911, if IRC they were for Camaros, all they had in stock and #70255 fit fine

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Tell ya what if you can bend this enough w/o kinking it I will buy you a beer. It is about TWISTING the metal line like a lickerish stick because the metal end is clamped on to the rubber hose at say 12:00 when it should be at 3 O'clock.
I think you could do that. You'd be surprised how much and how easily they will twist without kinking.

If that is not an option, take it to a local hydraulic hose place and have the crimp cut off, rerclocked and recrimped where you want it. This is like a 2 minute job for them, I can't imagine it being more than $10 or so.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
OR, take your old hose to the hydraulic hose shop and have them make one up like to old hose, good luck!

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
Parker Store in most cities. make it however you want it.

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I hear ya but here is the thing...if they are wrong I gotta send em back and the hose assemblies from the places like Year One etc etc etc are almost 2x what they are selling for at R-Auto.

If I could look at a pic and be sure they were right ...OK then I would choke out the money...remember 2x the cost AND freight. I look at Pics in the parts book at the AP stores and it is impossible to tell how the metal hoses are clocked....too many twists and turns to really look close up in a 2 dimensional PIC. I am going to look at Ground Up but I sure would like to see what I am buying as opposed to seeing a PIC. It is a pet peeve of mine in the day of E-Shopping. Seems I am always doing something (not just with the car) where I need to see and lay hands on whatever I am going to use in the project du jour. Ah well nuff on that rant.

Hopefully someone with have a PIC of a hose of known origin. If I can see the way the hose comes outta the pumpon an installed hose I can then tell if the hose will work.

I think Dean might be onto something as far as the fact that they are made wrong from the get go. Just an aside the Rockauto hose and the NAPA hose were drop dead twins right down the numbers on the rubber hose. If those two hoses didn't come from the same shop somewhere in Mexico I will eat my hat.
Well, I certainly feel your frustration, but I doubt GU is twice as much. OPGI etc. for sure, but GU has ps press lines for $28. Either way, if it fits it's worth every penny. If you look at their site, the pics for different years are different hoses. If you need other parts they have free ship over $99 going on now. I'm actually planning on going there over the next few days. If you want to PM me your info, I could have them pull a hose, and I can take pics for you, or describe it to you. Also they are usually pretty good over there, if you get someone on the phone who's willing to pull parts and look closely at them for you. Theresa is always willing to help, ask for her. Or let me know if I can help you out.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I certainly feel your frustration, but I doubt GU is twice as much. OPGI etc. for sure, but GU has ps press lines for $28. Either way, if it fits it's worth every penny. If you look at their site, the pics for different years are different hoses. If you need other parts they have free ship over $99 going on now. I'm actually planning on going there over the next few days. If you want to PM me your info, I could have them pull a hose, and I can take pics for you, or describe it to you. Also they are usually pretty good over there, if you get someone on the phone who's willing to pull parts and look closely at them for you. Theresa is always willing to help, ask for her. Or let me know if I can help you out.
First thanks to everyone who posted in response to this issue. I resolved it yesterday as suggested earlier by finding a shop that fab'd up a hose for me.

First however, before I go into that..... a special thanks to Dave for offering to help, even though he did not know it I am another Connecticut guy now transplanted to Atlanta. We Nutmeggers stick together. For Dave...I grew up in Litchfield and lived in South Glastonbury, right near the Glastonbury Country Club before dropping the ball and taking a transfer to Atlanta. I worked in that office complex on Glastonbury Blvd (near McDonalds) right after you cross the Putnam bridge. Based on your location we could have had a bunch of fun working on the cars and riding our bikes. Yet another reason I should have stayed up North!!!! Oh well.

Found a shop here in North Metro Atlanta and took the old one in. Told em "Make me another one of these that doesn't leak". 30 minutes later ....done PLUS this one has a detachable fitting ( sorta like a fuel line fitting on a carb! ) I can clock the line any way I want to thru 360 degrees of travel and the fitting is outta sight down there near the pump. I just was not up for another try at getting the right hose. I REALLY think they all come from the same supplier regardless of the store you go to....R-Auto was the cheapest at around $15.00, Napa was about $19.00 if memory serves and then O'Reiley was about $18.00. There is even a sticker on one with the SAME NUMBERs that are on the hose from other suppliers. They gotta come off the same Hecho in Mexico assy. line then they get bagged (same bags also) with a stick on P/N with the retailers P/N.

So in closing: Happy New year to all and special thanks for the tip on going to a shop as well as the offer of help from Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
:thumbsup: I'm glad you got it straightened out. Always willing to help out if I can. I know just where your talking about in Glastonbury. Yeah it's too bad your not still around, but Atlanta is sounding pretty good to me right now!

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:thumbsup: I'm glad you got it straightened out. Always willing to help out if I can. I know just where your talking about in Glastonbury. Yeah it's too bad your not still around, but Atlanta is sounding pretty good to me right now!
It is my thread so I can hijack it if I want......! I never got used to this place. Atlanta looked good to me after the winter of 1996 or maybe it was 1997. I shoveled the roof to prevent ice dams...it snowed again. I shoveled the roof to prevent ice dams....it snowed again. After the 3rd or 4th time in as many weeks I folded. To prevent ice dams for the remainder of the winter I went around the house and drilled drain holes in the horizontal gutters. The house was a contemporary / modern design with lots of glass and only one peak along the long axis of the house. HUGE amounts of water came rushing down the side that faced west by afternoon on a sunny day. Then it would freeze at night in the gutters then more melt next day.....you get it I am sure. I see your point about winter I experienced it myself..might have been even worse in Litchfield and Torrington (where I lived as a title kid) cause those places are higher.

We had 90 days OVER 90 degrees this summer. The humidity was a bit lower than usual because it was awful dry but usually the humidity just saps the hell out of you. Traffic is MURDER. Simple example...my house to Atl. Airport is 36 miles: 30 is interstate. At the right time of day 40 minutes drive...wrong time of day 2+HOURS and that is if there is not an accident. With an accident .....who knows how long?. Pick a number for travel time. We had some snow / ice combination one year...took my neighbor 12 hours to go 12 miles. People slept in the Home Depot Stores and grocery stores....admittedly a rare event but after a while the pace of things even on good travel days wears ya down. My neighbor had her 94 year old dad in the car with his oxygen tank during that 12 hour trip.

I can't wait to get outta here. Soon as we find a spot that is not so crazy , one which we both like, I am done with this place.

Thank you again for your offer of help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts