Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the stock alternator in my 69 Malibu with a 140W internal regulator unit. The car has factory gauges; Will the amp gauge still work with the extra output of the alternator, or do I need to add resistance in series (or parallel) to drop the current the gauge sees and keep the gauge from pegging out? OR can this gauge be converted to a Voltage gauge? OR is there another suggestion? As you can see, I didn't pay too close attention to the Electrical Engineering classes when I was in school.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Changing out the alternator doesn't really affect the ammeter. The larger alternator just has a greater capacity. The current draw (amps) that the car wants won't change by changing the alternator. Some people change their ammeters to volt meters because they are safer.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
yea, i shorted out my ampmeter after installing my high OP alternator in my jeep....boy does that cause problems w/ stereos/headlights/power windows (especially when you initially don't know u shorted it :confused: !!!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts