Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they really work?

My 496 was having some cooling issues today. When I put the car together, I plugged the bypass and drilled 4 holes in the (new) stock style thermostat as others have suggested. Despite that, the car would overheat. I put the bypass on (pain with the Air Gap manifold), and my cooling problem went away - solid 180-190 all the time.

I know others have no problems running their BBCs with the bypass plugged. I am running the stock WP, but it certainly looks like the thermostat is too restrictive to flow. Any thoughts as to whether a high flow will cure the problem? I'd like to get rid of the bypass because the solution for the Air Gap is way ugly (45 degree brass pipe fitting off of the manifold).

Rob

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - Jason, that looks like the perfect setup. It really looks good. Maybe I will just grab that Gates hose and use it instead...all I had on hand was a straight hose and no matter how I tried, it would not work.

Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trust me, I feel your pain on the straight hose thing. I had a 45 degree fitting, thanks to another team member giving me a part # for it but after a LONG time of searching old threads here at team chevelle, I found a guy that used the gates part # so I reposted the info. I can't take full credit for the find but will gladly throw out that part # whenever I see others in agony. haha

Good luck with your setup and post pics when you're done. I love seeing big blocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts