Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John,

Hereis another thing that came up while trying to figure out the gas gauge problem. It seems that when the high beam indictor is lite that the light are on low beam and when the lite is off the light are on high beam.

Thanks for ant help.

Rodger

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The high beam light is on the same wire that also provide power to the high beams. It's a light green wire. Are you having any problems with any of the headlights? All 4 of them work ok?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

All of the lights work correctly it is just that the high beam indicator light is backwards in the way it lights up.

Thanks

Rodger

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Still a little odd with no headlight problem. I can't see it being the dash harness. That would taken some PITA rewiring.
1, Check to make sure you have the ground wire from battery (-) to the inside right fender.
2, Unplug the headlights one at a time and see if the dash indicator starts acting normal. If you start with the left ones you can get at the connectors under the hood. Right ones are a little more trouble.
Still think it's being powered oddly through the headlight filaments.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This happened to me, many years ago when I was 16. It was right after I had dropped the dash down in the 68 Malibu to replace some bulbs. My neighbor fixed it. He was a mechanic at the local Chevy dealer. He said I had left a ground wire unhooked.

It also caused the gas guage to read empty, the lighter stopped working, and some other lights didn't work. Also, the turn signal indicators were on all the time unless I turned on the blinker. Then they would blink OFF.

Funny thing was that if I would turn on the switch for the dome light and open the door everything went immediately back to normal. I think opening two switches to the dome light at the same time somehow provided enough of a ground to get things working. You shoulda' seen me driving along with the dome on and holding the door open so I could get my cigg lit.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 54k orig miles
My car.
The red interior.
The engine.
Hood trim.

[This message has been edited by Barista (edited 11-19-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts