Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '70 Malibu is in storage for the winter. Tomm. I want to run the a/c because I found out if it isn't run, it won't lubricate the seals in the compressor.
One problem...
In my infinite wisdom, some time this past year I disconnected the power feed to the compressor clutch to make sure the a/c wasn't turned on (Hey I'm scared of losing all the Freon!!! $$$$!!!)
Little did I know then that each time you turn the heater on a little switch engages to start the compressor for a split second to lube it....I cheated it out of this

Should I just reconnect the power, turn it on and cross my fingers??? Leave it alone and risk having the seals dry out more???

What things should I be on the look out for when trying it? I thought try "NORM" then "MAX" if it seems to cool.
It is far from a respectable a/c shop and I don't have a/c equipment?

Please help!

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 11-13-98).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's best to leave it hooked up because if the seals dry out you're going to lose your freon anyway.Your freon can leak out even if it is not run but it is best to leave everything hooked up.You should hvae it checked for leaks if you fear you're losing freon.
John

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
Coppertop

Don't fret yourself over this. If you're really concerned, turn it over by hand a dozen times or so, just grab the front of the clutch and turn it in the normal direction of rotation. Then start the engine and let it warm up so it's not on fast idle and turn on the A/C. It doesn't make any difference whether it's on Max or Norm. The A-6 compressor has an actual little oil pump in the rear cover with a pickup going down into the sump on the bottom. If you want to be good to it, just run it for a minute or two every couple weeks. This is really not a big issue, IMO. The split-second clutch activation while passing through A/C to Heat doesn't run it long enough to help anything, IMO.

If you want to do your A/C a favor, make sure your fan clutch is good before next summer.

In case you're wondering, I do custom and antique A/C work in Phoenix, Az.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tommob (edited 11-14-98).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.