Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the stock starter on my 350 with a hi-torque. Originally I had a large wire that went to the battery on one large terminal along with an orange (yellow?)wire that goes up into the wiring harness somewhere. Then I had a purple wire (to ignition switch?) and a red wire that went to the distributor. My new starter however, only has the one large battery terminal and one spade terminal. I'm thinking the orange (yellow?) wire will go to the same terminal since it was originally. But what abour the other two wires? I only have one spade terminal to use. If anyone can tell me how to wire this thing it would be greatly appreciated. (Oh yeah, it's in a '70 Malibu, if it makes a difference.)

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
You are going to have to change the solenoid on the starter to one with the 2 small terminals. Or take it back and get one with the correct solenoid.
Many later cars with an HEI, which did not use the second terminal, didn't have the second one.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Bruce,
I believ on my Tilton that you hook the switch wire to the spade terminal and the yellow( smaller gauge) wire is hooked up to the post on the starter motor itself as opposed to the solenoid. this is to supply the coil with additional juice only during startup. this is the wire which would hook up to the R (resistor) terminal on your stock solenoid

Dan

------------------
Central Illinois
69 Cortez silver SS 427
69 azure turquois Malibu 250
ACES #02351
Team Chevelle Gold #35

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.