Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone w/ POR-15 and found out (I'm glad) that you have to wait at least 12 hours?! before painting w/POR after you treat metal with "metal ready". Depending on the humidity it may take more/less time.

ETD66SS- You had some bad results w/ por. I was just curious if maybe that's what happened, you didn't wait long enough betwee the application of "metal-ready" and the Por-15 paint.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions, good or bad experiences w/ POR-15. I'm "scheduled" to take on the rear window area of my Malibu tommorow and don't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sandblasted the frame, then brushed on POR-15 Chassis Black. No metal ready needed. Was amazed at how good it looked. Did not look brushed on at all. They warn that exposure to sunlight will fade the paint and mine did since I was constantly rolling it out from the garage and into the daytime sun to put the suspension together. I have since applied a couple of coats of semi-gloss spray bomb to freshen up the look. No problems with bubbling, etc.
John Walker

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It was 3 days between the time I used the metal ready & painted on the por-15. I sandblasted it all off, and I'm ready to try it again! I did not have good results when I brushed it on, could still see some marks, and had runs around all those hole openings. I was thinking of trying a Wagner power sprayer?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Used POR-15 Gloss black on front fender wells, about 1 hour after metal ready was washed off (Sunny California)

·
Registered
648 Posts
i've had really good results with por 15 and highly recommend it. i've used it on my frame and floor pans. the semi gloss may be just a bit too shinny but shows no brush marks. be very careful spraying this stuff, i understand it's pretty nasty to breath. i don't know if that applies to a wagner or not. good luck

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Had good results on inner fenderwells. Applied Metal Ready to smooth metal after sanding off all paint. Finish looks sprayed even though it was brushed. Had some pinholes around the area where the battery tray attaches. There may have been battery acid impregnated in the metal there. No problem since the new battery tray covers it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Metal Ready ??

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.