Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been thinking of putting an engine together with some parts we got kicking around the garage. got a good 4 bolt main block with a steel scat rotating assembly to make a 496. gonna put some 10.5-1 wisecos in it. also have a set of ported 990's with a strip dominator and holley 1000hp carb or weiand tunnel ram with 2 600 holley vs carbs. we have enough parts like ignitions and all little parts to complete. picked up what i found to be a herbert hydraulic roller. part # BH7.
It came with lifters and springs. I have never run a herbert cam. are these things any good? any known problem or issues with them? right off the bat i can't get a hold of them. tried called multiple numbers 4-5 times today and can't even leave a number or get a hold of anyone. would like to know what springs and pressure i might need to run and confirm it is one of their camshafts. are they even still in business. having all these parts just laying around is a shame when could build a nice lil street motor would be fun. thank you mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can you tell what kind of core it is ground on....as in a cast core, or a billet steel core?? Billet is typically machine finish between each of the lobes, cast with be as-cast between lobes. This relates to how much spring pressure the cam can handle.
Hopefully it is billet, you'll need 155-170 lbs seat pressure and 440-470 lbs over the nose for that cam to have any chance of runnng up over 6200 rpm, and you'll want everything in the valvetrain as light as possible.... titanium retainers or small tool steel retainers, probably beehive spprings, 11/32" stem valves.
Any idea what the lifters are?? Entry level/stock replacement/budget hydro roller lifters typically can't handle enough spring pressure to go with the rpm range of that cam.
Identifying who made them and what performance level thay are made for would be a big help to your being successful with them.

Herbert grinds are fine, just really out-of-date old school type stuff.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Herbert Cams are ok but the grinds are old, for that money you could get a Howard's roller cam and have a lot more choices to pick from.

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Have the springs checked at a shop with a spring tester. 150/400 should work on a cast core and even though more pressure would be better it will probably work fine.

Do the lifters have any brand on the linkbar?
Open or encapsulated wheel?
Maybe a picture of them?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx guys, i'm gonna swing by the shop tomorrow and take a look at the lifters. it has springs in a box. brand new comp. it was a total of pretty mismatched parts. good 4 bolt main block is what i really wanted. thanks again. i really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
thanx guys, i'm gonna swing by the shop tomorrow and take a look at the lifters. it has springs in a box. brand new comp. it was a total of pretty mismatched parts. good 4 bolt main block is what i really wanted. thanks again. i really appreciate it.
I think Herbert used Morel lifters if they also was bought from Herbert. Open wheel Morel 4603 will work with high pressure and those lift. If encapsulated wheel Morel 5374 street lifter marginal with that lift. But maybe lifters from another brand/manufacturer?

Do you know what part nr springs and installed height on those 990’s?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure. it had a comp cam super gas type cam. power range is in the 5-8k range. was set up with a solid roller. the guy had 12.9-1 pistons and was trying to run it on 93 octane gas. some one did some port work on them. could never get the car to run quite right. I can see why.

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Not Morel lifters maybe older crane or gaterman. In worst case they are chinese copies.
High energy pushrods are barely an upgrade from oem. You want at least magnum or if best quality hi tech.

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Depending what installed height you have this spring with comp tool steel retainer and com 4776-16 locators is a nice and light setup.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Things that ruin cams are too much valve spring pressure and way too much RPM for what the cam was rated for. Heavy parts in a BBC don't help either.

·
Registered
423 Posts
"High Energy" pushrods with welded ball tips, like a stock pushrod??
Or "Hi- Tech" pushrods, which are nice .080" wall 1-piece chromemoly formed end pushrods? Step above the Magnum

The Hi-Tech are good, High Energy no good for what you are doing.

Just trying to clarify what you might have.

I don't recognize the lifters brand either

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx for the input guys. i really appreciate it. sounds like a bunch of mismatched parts. for real short $ we picked up all these parts. all we really wanted was the 4 bolt main block. it was a cast crank/piston short block with that cam installed and boxes with all the parts. i guess we'll just add it to the parts collection.

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
I would use the cam if its close to what you want and the lifters with better pushrods and springs. Good chance they are older crane or maybe gaterman.
Are both cam and lifter installed but never runned?

·
Premium Member
6,575 Posts
yes, everything is brand new. that cam might run pretty good in a 990 headed 496. pretty much have all the parts we need.
Think it wil run pretty good!
If you dont special order a hyd roller on billet almost all are on cast sadi cores. I would use it since you have it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts