Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this car doesnt count in here, but here goes. I know a guy that has an 87 Oldsmobile stationwagon. The problem with the car is that it just shuts off without warning. The battery and alternator have both been replaced. The thing that gets me is that EVERYTHING is dead when it shuts down. No headlights, dome light, not even hazards. I am sort of suspecting the ignition switch, but I wanted to see if any of you have ever seen this. The car has a V8. Oh, another thing too, after it shuts off, the batter still shows 12 volts, but nothing works. If you try to jump start it, it will eventually start again. It runs for about 1 minute and then goes dead again. Any help would be much appreciated as this is his only car. Please let me know if I have left out any info that might help out. Thanks in advance!

--Jerry--

·
Registered
423 Posts
Keep a voltmeter (or trouble shooting light) handy and the next time that it goes out, check to see if there is 12 volts at the fuse block.

If it doesn't have 12 volts, I'd suspect that one of the fusable links are going south and not conducting all the time.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
97 Posts
since i work at an olds dealer, i can tell you that sometimes this type problem can be something simply overlooked. the battery could have a broken post, there could be excessive corrosion buildup between the cable bolts and the battery, i've even seen too short a cable bolt at the battery after someone replaced it with the incorrect size.
check the cable ends at the starter and the engine ground. doesn't sound like the ign switch to me because the hazard flashers are not powered through it on an 87 custom cruiser wagon. could be a fusible link or a bad connection leading into the dash.

keep looking, it'll probably be something simple & stupid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I have been looking for a fusible link. I also need to crawl under it to look at the stater wiring. I did sort of suspect that too, but when I do get it running, moving the wire to the starter doesnt change anything. I am gonna go look at it again soon. Thanks again, and please let me know if you think of anything else.

--Jerry--

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I figured it out. One of the wires at the starter was shorting everything out. I had tried to move them before, but I didnt notice anything. I finally was able to get my hand down there far enough to find out that that was the problem. Anyway, thanks again for your responses. This site kicks A$$!!!!!!!

--Jerry--

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.