Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3 very stuborn 'hinge to tailgate' phillips head bolts? lubed with 3 kinds of penetrant spray- the threads from inside the tailgate, used a BBQ lighter to heat 'em. impact driver & 3lb. maul, now what??? "i can be patient but only for a limited time" any more tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. thx. John.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sounds like more Heat is required, remember those have probably been in there for 38 years!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Sounds like more Heat is required, remember those have probably been in there for 38 years!
I doubt if that bbq lighter can do much good but more heat just might do the trick. Since you don't have an oxy/accetelene rig to heat those screws cherry red, you might try a propane torch using a bottle of map gas instead of propane. It certainly would be a cheap enough try as a last ditch effort before getting the drill out. It's the expansion/contraction that will break the screws free so concentrate on each screw individually to get them as hot as possible, rather than trying to heat all three evenly at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I used a 3/8 MAC impact on mine. I got a large (#1 I think) 3/8 drive phillips bit and used it in my impact. I got the socket from a friend...I think it was snap on or MAC, you might try Sears though.

Dave

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the heat! the heat! used my propane torch through the reverse light holes on the threads for about 30 seconds each and smacked it as quick as i could and got them all out! re-aligned the tailgate and all is muchos betteros. didnt screw anything up or start a fire. thanks for the tip. John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts