Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've looked for topics on this thread and haven't found any. I'm having a weird problem. I have a th350 trans and the stock shifter and cable to go with it. So I put the trans into 1st and the shifter in 1st and adjusted the bracket that is on the trans so it's in the appropriate place. So when the trans is in 1st the shifter would obvisouly be in 1st. So then I go to drive it and every gear is one higher up on the positioning on the shifter, so I can't get it into park. Doesn't make sense so I do adjust it on the opposite end(aka put the shifter in park and the trans in park). Problem is that the trans wont go into park until it rolls a little and it's much farther to move to get to park. Like the gaps(distance) between gears are pretty similar except when you go into park. So when I adjust it into park I can't get 2nd or 1st. The gap between park and reverse is huge, it's like my shifter would need to move and additional inch to get all the gears. It really blows and doesn't make sense.

A buddy of mine has a th400 and I realize it's a different trans but when you shift in his you can feel the clicks in the shifter, mine you can't. Is the shifter mechanism aka the thing that selects the gears worn out? I don't know transmissions so that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens if you set the trans and shifter to neutral and then install the cable?
You me adjust it? It's the same as if I did it in 1st. Also when I adjusted it so park worked and couldn't get 2nd or 1st reverse took up all the room on the shifter where neutral should be until it hit the stop before going into the drive gears.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've found some people having relatively similar issues. People say it could be the sprag or the ratchet pawl. Either of those sound remotely right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts