Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed if its raining and im caught out in it or its bath time I have water leaking at both windows on the tops..... the rear right window leaks and the trunk leaks bad at the corners where the metal is welded it seems to be rusted. so should I get a new weatherstripping kit? for all of the windows? and for the trunk have the corners cut out and redone by a body shop? Anyone else have these problems? It has been previously restored but it doesnt look like they did a good job! Thanks for the help:beers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
You need new window weather strip or you might need to adjust your window height. It amy be set too low & the glass isn't tucking up into the rubber. The back quarter panel seams probally aren't your problem. It sounds like your rear window channel is rotted out. Pull your window trim & clean out the section between your glass & the body. These cars rott here & leak into the trunk. If it's not too serious, you can clean up the area & use some "RUST MORT" or "POR 15" rust killer to stop the rust & putty the holes up with "BRUSHABLE BODY SEAM SEALER" You can get it @ any automotive paint shop.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjusting the window height? I never thought of that ill check it out thanks! So with the window channel how do I pull the trim? Is it just clipped in or glued? Thanks again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
do like the above say's BUT if its still raining out side and your car is sitting getting soaked .... put some trash bags over the weatherstriping... it's an easy answer for now..
I know this sounds crazy but i had the same prob before.. for the time being.. while its raining..and the car is not being used... just open your doors hand a huge plastic trash bag hanging past where water would leak in (down past the window)

I know its micky mouse put it will save you from having a wet carpet if you dont have a garage or somewhere to hide it from the rain..

hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I pulled the rear window...... it was installed as said:

Window>Window sealer>vinyl top>window channel

So water was just flowing in! Sheesh.

Q- can I just clean up the surface rust and por 15 over and reinstall correctly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts