Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1972 chevelle i am rebuilding a set of correct buckets seats and the new seat springs have extra side support springs that i can not find a place to attach to seat frame . how do i attach them?

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
A 72 only used 1 side spring per side of the seat. 66, 67 and 68 used 2 side springs per seat. Post a picture of your seat springs attached to your seat frame. I may be able to help further.

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
Make sure you use the soft foam with new springs.. Mine are still like solid seats after 10,000 miles..
Jeff/Hydro - Which vendor supplies "soft foams" ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will try to attach a pic, the springs are for 72 it is suppossed to be an upgrade i got a set for both seats from different sources and both bottoms are the same . seems like they need to be tack welded or something

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
American Cushion is a good choice for seat foam.

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
i will try to attach a pic, the springs are for 72 it is suppossed to be an upgrade i got a set for both seats from different sources and both bottoms are the same . seems like they need to be tack welded or something

Noooooo. No welding. The rear side spring was only used from 66+68 seats and some 69-70 seat frames still had the tangs to hold them even though no springs were there.

Take a photo and post to confirm, but likely you can just remove those rear springs and be fine. Otherwise the spring assembly is the same.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
You can just take the clips off of those extra springs and remove them. They are not needed. Be SURE to save them in case you ever break one of the others still on the seat frames.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pic # 3 is probably the best pic of the side spring . i also just attached another pic of a swivel wire on top of the bottom seat spring assembly i assume is to use instead listing wire to attach the bottom seat cover, am i right guessing that?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
here are some pics of the side spring
I am looking at the Pic with your finger pointing to a spring that appears to be a second "side" spring on that side of the seat. Perhaps the 1972 seats do not have the second spring or a place to mount it on the frame I can't say for sure. I would say that of that second spring makes for a firmer seat I am all for it. I cannot image that it would be hard to attach that 2nd spring via some creative method of attachment other than welding it to a premade position in the lower seat frame.

I have a 1972 seat that is all covered but is out of the car. I am going to take a look tomorrow and see if there is a place to install that 2nd spring. I know the seats in question are 1972 seats because I bought the car in 1973 and can vouch for the fact that the seats are original.

Is it possible to buy those "2nd springs" or is it necessary to get an entire set of springs if I wanted to try to firm up my seats?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
let me know what you find on your seat , i want to know how your 72 seat is.i think it should be removed as realred70 suggested,but i am considering anchoring them with self tapping screws for extra support. i think you can buy them but i dont know that it is worth it

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
anyone know what this rod is ?
Those rods need to get clamped to the spring assembly for the cover listing rods to attach to. Usually they are already installed on the repop spring assemblies, but I guess not on these.

You will need spring clamps to attach at either end, and hog rings to attach every 3-4" inches to keep it secure.

These repop springs are known to be stiff, so no need to worry about removing the unneeded side spring and having it be too soft.

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
The rear side support springs are a loop shorter and slightly different shape than the front side support springs.(or at least they were originally, not sure what the repop assemblies have for that spring)

I am not aware of any where selling just the rear specific ones, but if you have the raw zig zag spring you can simply bend them up, that's what I do when I need to make them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts