Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read over the Jeep box conversion and it seems to be the way to go for the money. However it appears there are some points that are left vague.

1. What is the rag joint I need? I have seen several part numbers, one being a part number #200 from Advance auto. What is the application for this rag joint?

2. Lee hose adapters. Does anyone have pics? Is it as simple as installing these and using the correct 67 hoses and reservoir/pump?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hey Aaron, its been a few years since I did mine, But I ran the #200 As for Lee's hose adapters, I had them on my 71. I just put the adapters in, hammered them down the popped the hoses on. I know theres a ton of info and pictures that show the whole procedure.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have read over the Jeep box conversion and it seems to be the way to go for the money. However it appears there are some points that are left vague.

1. What is the rag joint I need? I have seen several part numbers, one being a part number #200 from Advance auto. What is the application for this rag joint?

2. Lee hose adapters. Does anyone have pics? Is it as simple as installing these and using the correct 67 hoses and reservoir/pump?
1985 Chevy truck

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I used the Lares 200 rag joint. (85 Chevy C10 truck will work for application)

Lee is no longer in business. If you don't mind using adapters, I think these are a better solution... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-605sol

Those adapters will screw into your new box and allow you to use your original Chevelle lines.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The older pump won't make as much pressure. It could be a problem. Change the fitting on the back of the pump to a 1980 or newer. It will have the oring fitting and raise the pressure. Or just get a complete 80 or newer pump. Then you won't need any adapters. Use PS hoses for an 80 Camaro V8. They are cheap from rock auto, like $15 each. Lares 200 is the joint I have.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
You can buy the new style adaptors on line. ( They are a copy of what LEE built.). Here is my two cents: My 307 wagon now has a 468. The org. 307 power steering pump with 128.000 on this pump.
When I pulled the 307, I laid the 307 P.S. pump on the frame rail hoses still attached to the steering box. The 468 goes in, I install Big Block brackets on the 307 pump. Drove the wagon for two years, Then the JEEP G.C. box goes on. Jeep box has been on my wagon for 6-7 years.
Now that old 307 P.S. pump now has over 164.000 miles on it and is working just fine.
I love the Jeep G.C. up/grade. For about a $150.00 = Jeep Box & rag joint & Adaptors. It was the best money I ever spent.
For me, I saw NO reason to change the P. S. Pump. 7-years later and 164.000 miles, That old 307 pump is still , Doing its job.
Bob

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
>> That old 307 pump is still , Doing its job.

LOL, my car has over 200K on it, 208 I think. Still has the original 307 pump but I think I put a kit in it back about the turn of the century. Bushing for the pump shaft looked like new, still in there.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Speedway also sells the adapters,I used the original "66" pump but replaced the fitting,spring and valve with one from a mid "80's" S-10 4x4 which allows for more pressure. A high pressure hose from an early "80's" Camaro(V8) and screws right into the S-10 fitting and into the high pressure port on the gearbox without an adapter. Install a flare adapter fitting in the return port on the gearbox and even though the threads in the box are metric your original return pipe will screw right in,just don't over tighten. I used the rag joint that was mentioned but I took it apart and installed the copper ground connector from my original joint for proper horn operation. You'll be amazed with the results of the conversion.
I got all the info I needed from searching this website and all the great members who posted the info.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I put a locally built 12:1 box with .204 t bar in my 67 Malibu. The pump pressure was not changed. I love the way it steers now. It is harder to turn but not in a bad way. I also have UMI upper arms with 6* caster. So nice to drive it with no oversteer, it goes where you want it to!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Lee Steering has been back in business for about a year now under new ownership.
Home | Lee Power Steering
They sell the adapters with installation tool for about $35.00.
My stock 70 pump has been working fine with the GC box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts