Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tore into this engine I picked up this weekend and am looking for pointers. It looks like it is a 4-bolt main so that is cool. I don't like that "extra" oil dipstick tube I have my finger on. Of course it also has the one the slips in the block on the outside but it causes the dip stick to hang up on the lip when you try to put it in, sometimes takes a minute or two to get it to go in. Can't I just eliminate it? It also moves up and down an inch or so, just doesn't seem right?!? How hard will it be to get that really nice Minnesota frost plug heater out of there?

Thanks guys!

http://www.hopeandcompany.com/webcam/69engine/4150.jpg

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Wow, just when I think I've seen it all....

that lower dipstick tube is in upside down. there's a necked-down spot in the dipstick hole in the block, that mushroomed end of it seats against the step. If it's installed from the top, that is. :)

wow again.

is that a block heater or just an expandable freeze plug? I don't see the wires or anyplace to connect them?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the same feeling I am getting about the dipstick tube so I am taking it out of there. That is/was a block heater that must have had all the wires cut off real short. I hear they are a pain to remove?!?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
loosen up that bolt in the center, knock it around with a big F*ord tool, it'll come out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts