Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of doing a engine swap in a 70 Chevelle LSX 454 purchased from Mast Motor sports (motor is in the shipping crate) 4L60E Automatic and would greatly appreciate some experienced help and advice with a few problems I’m having.
First off I’m using an Auto Kraft oil pan and haven’t test fit it yet it is on the motor. I have Mock Block. I purchased Edelbrocks headers and engine plates and the headers hit on the frame on the passenger side right where they start down. I looked at pictures of other builds and could see no reason that they didn’t fit or anything that I did wrong I tried both a stock type motor mount and energy suspension urethane mounts and also tried new stands just in case any ideas? I ordered the Hooker long tube set up and I will try that this week when I receive them.
Next problem is I cant find anyone that sells a Serpentine drive set up (air car) I have called March, Billet Specialties, and everyone that I could find everyone has told me that there LS1 drive either wont work because of the Drive by wire throttle body or something else. I had order one from Synister Products that I was told by them would work however they were unable to deliver the product at this time. I know several people have suggested notching the frame and using a GM drive that is not an option for me not that there is anything wrong with that I just don’t want to if I can keep from it also a few people have stated that they had problems with steering hitting also. I have heard that GM Performance has a drive for LSX however I cant find any information in it. I’m looking for something that will high mount the compressor and the alternator and clear the hood and something that is attractive looking. Any ideas any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Keith
Lansing Mi

·
Registered
148 Posts
Keith,

It sounds like you have some nice goodies. I am no expert but I have never read anything about the DBW set up not working with after market acc., I would double check that. Also you mentioned you bought your engine from Mast...they have brackets set up listed on their website?
Here is a link for the GMPP kit (See second post down) http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=623559, but you can't use that compressor and would likely have problems with the low mount.
As for the headers (Edelbrock) they should fit fine as I have them and some others also. Do you have a picture of how the frame stands are currently in your car?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replie. Sorry I didnt explane very well what I meant about the DBW with air was when I called march performance they seid there serpentine drive wouldn't work do to the DBW interfearing with there top cross bracket so basically theay couldnt help me. I have called every manufacturer I know of or could find everyone said the same thing. Shawn at Mast motorsports say's there drive isnt ready yet and wont be for months.

I can take some Pic's of the frame stands and post them tommarow.

Oh and yes the I got some cool stuff the car should be alot of fun. The body it self and paint is good 10 footer. I have BMR upper and lower control arms, ATS spindels, flaming river 12.1 box, Mosier 12 bolt 3:55 gear, SSBC four wheel disc, Hydroboost setup, smoothed firewall with my customized Classic air modified to run bulkhead out under the inner fenders. wheel vintiuqe billit 94's on a set of G-Forces.
yada yada yada bla bla bla and the list goes on. It will be nice if I ever finish it and actually get to drive it LOL

Thanks again
Keith

·
Registered
603 Posts
Keith, LS1tech.com has all the answers you need in the "Conversions & Hybrids" section of the forum.

Tony

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I can't speak for the edelbrock headers personally but I have yet to hear anybody complain about the clearance issues you are having. I am using the hooker headers on my swap and they fit just fine. I would suggest (if you already haven't) unbolting the engine mount frame stands and bolting them to the engine and setting the engine in. This will allow you to fine tune the position of the engine. Then re-drill the holes for where the frame stands need to be. I am using a cable throttle with F-body front drive accessories so I can't help you much in that department sorry. That unfortunate if you cannot get the edelbrock headers to work as they are much nicer and should make more horsepower as well.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Keith,

You may want to have a read here:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216205

What frame stands and engine mounts are you using? Can you post some pictures? The #1 cylinder tube is close, but it will clear just fine. Keep in mind that the angle of the engine plays a huge role in how the headers fit. Are you sure that your engine angle is right, or that the tailshaft is not pointing slightly one way or the other?

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.