Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some expert info on wiring up the horns on my 70 SS.
I recently acquired a working set of horns....but that is all I have.
I know I need a horn relay.....but where does it mount?
I need to know how to wire them from the horn button to the horns themselves.
Also, the ammeter gauge doesn't work.....I'm guessing it might need to connect to the horn relay? Info on suppliers for the needed parts would be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance for your help. I really enjoy the site.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
This is a non-working project car? Otherwise I don't see how the wires are presently tied together. The horn relay mounts on the driver's side of the radiator.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is running........everything works except the ammeter gauge and it doesn't have any horns.

Is the horn relay near the voltage regulator?

I just need to know what is involved in getting them put back on the car, and what wiring harnesses/parts I would need.
Thanks for the help.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, if the car is running it should have a horn relay. Yes, near the voltage regulator with wires tied to it. See if it's there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I checked the car (it's in winter storage at this time) and it does have a horn relay mounted right next to the raditator.
I did not see any wires running from the relay to where the horns would be installed. There were wires connected to the relay, however. I am also not sure if there is any wiring from the horn buttons on the steering wheel....what kind of wiring should be present?
Thanks again for your help and patience.....I am still learning about this car.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
“I did not see any wires running from the relay to where the horns would be installed.”

If it’s missing you can get a new replacement wire, with the connectors here.
www.wiringharness.com

“There were wires connected to the relay, however. I am also not sure if there is any wiring from the horn buttons on the steering wheel....what kind of wiring should be present?”

From memory only but probably close. No schematics in front of me. If someone else has one, hopefully they will show up.
Should have about 3 red wires tied together. One from the harness running up the left fender, one from the alternator, and one from the battery. This connection is also the 12 volts for the horn relay and the horns. Believe the missing horn wire should be green. Guessing one of the horn relay terminals doesn’t have anything attached to it. Should be a couple of other wires coming into the horn relay. A pink with stripes on it. This is the key minder buzzer wire. Wouldn’t worry about this. Another wire is a black wire. This is the horn switch wire.
Does the relay have the black wire attached to it?
If so, does the relay make a “click” sound when you push on the horn button?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I will have to remove the steering wheel center section and see if there are any switches or wires behind the buttons, because there isn't any clicking noises when either button is pushed. I did see a heavy gauge pink wire on the horn relay, along with a black one.
I will have the car out of storage in a month, and I will be able to be more specific about what is on the car. I just figured now would be a good time to order any needed wiring and contacts while there is 6" of snow on the ground..... :(
Thanks for your help, John.
I'll get back to you.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Should be a small gage black wire on the horn relay or near the relay. No need to take apart the steering wheel yet.
Maybe the snow will stop at Dean's later on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK.....I think the only wire missing is the one that goes from the horn relay to the horns.
I will get that wire connected to the new horns and see if I get anywhere. If not, I will check the steering wheel contacts. Maybe I won't have to do as much as I originally thought.
After I get this taken care of, I will need some help getting the ammeter working.

I am also going to get the newer voltage regulator to replace the stock one since I have the pulsating/flickering dash lights and headlights.

Other than these small fixes, this car is in great shape.

Again, thanks for all your help.

BTW, painterdude169 sent me a nice photo of the horn relay.......very helpful!

Jeff

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts

I did it
On mine, the small wire that is plugged in behind the two "BAT" terminals is going to the horns and is black

#1 and #2 on mine > I think one is going to the circuit breaker for the power windows and the other is going to the voltmeter

I *think* the red wire on the left is going to the fuse box and the one coming from the right is from the terminal block on the core support.

I'll go back out and see which one goes to the column now that I've got the Sportster moved back.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Take a small jumper wire and ground the "even smaller black wire terminal" to ground. Use a known good clean spot for ground. Grounding that relay terminal should make the relay go "click".
Easier to test the relay without the horns attached (and quieter).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try the jumper wire test and listen for a click.

Thanks again for the pics and tips.
I'll report back after checking the relay.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts