Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone- Newbie here- I am cleaning up my firewall and converting over to R134 and have run into a couple of snags that I am looking for your help on.
1. I have removed the evaporator case and cleaned it out. I am unable to find any seal kits to replace all the seals as they are no good now. What about using stuff like permatex or something- will that work? If not - what should I use?
2. I have attached a couple of pictures of an object that i found just lying in the evap box not attached to anything. I have looked over the assembly manual and cannot find it ( I am sure I have just overlooked it). Could someone tell me what it is and where it goes? If you have a picture of it installed that would be great to.

Thanks again for taking time out to help a new guy..

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
To seal the two case halves together, you can use gum cord. it is sold in hvac houses but you will end up with more than you will probably ever need in your life. That's unless you work on ac for a living. I would not use permatex or other silicone sealer as it is a bitch to remove. You can also use 3m cords. they are sold online. I believe they are available at auto parts stores also. Now as far as that object, I can honestly say I have never seen that in all the ac boxes ive removed form cars. And I have removed quite a bit of them.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
My guess is. Looks like the flapper door that is operated by a vacuum pod.
Is the flapper still in its location in the right side cowl. On 70s the pod will have a " Black hose RED stripe "
Bob

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
The 3m cord is also known as dumdum caulk for some reason. I bought a box of it for my project and and using it. It is like Goldilocks, has to be just the right temp to peel it off the wax sheets without stretching it out of shape. I put some ice in a cooler and set the box in it for a while, then I am good to go. Works great once you apply it though...

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
That unknown part is the air control flap in the cowl area on the passenger side. It broke off of the vacuum pod and was used to stop outside air from entering when the AC control was in MAX. I bought a new one from Hinshaw's.

The rusty part goes below the the cowl panel and the pod part above and they fasten together.

Here is a photo of it installed. upper part of the photo under the screen. The black pan head screws hold the parts together and to the cowl.

This is the 3M product used for sealing the air box and many other things. I keep mine in the garage refrigerator

I use it to seal the kick panels too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts