Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My engine is:
'74 454 block
'71 LS-5 heads
Comp Cams 11-246-3 camshaft
Edelbrock Performer 2-0 intake manifold
Holley 4160 750 cfm carb
HEI ignition

what power and torque I can expect from this setup, and what's more important, what will be safe max rpm for it? I'm bit afraid of going anywhere higher than 5000 rpm now...

I don't really care about huge racing performance. I'm more interested in something just above "grandpa car" ;) I've read that this camshaft is bit more sport than stock one, and intake is about the same. Is that true?

I need to change carburetor in near future, as this one I have borrowed from my friend.
Will Edelbrock Performer 750cfm (#1411) be a good choice for street friendly setup?
How will it influence power, torque, and economy?
Any other recommendation on carburetor?

Sorry for all those questions, but I guess it's normal when you have finally got car of your dreams. I can't really check those things by trying different setups, as here in Poland, they are not available. Getting them from US involves huge shipping costs, customs, and VAT taxes, so I hope you guys can help me with picking correct parts from your experience.

Thanks in advance,
Marek

·
Registered
820 Posts
assuming everything's in great condition 5800rpm-6000rpm should not be a problem, but if the valve springs, bearings lifters or darn near any other parts got lots of miles on them that may not be a really good idea.

given the limited info ,370 hp at the flywheel should be close

·
Registered
113 Posts
I make great power with an Edelbrock 750 so that would be my choice.... Rpm @5000 is plenty for a BB hydraulic cam regardless of everyone who will tell you it should spin higher

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
I make great power with an Edelbrock 750 so that would be my choice.... Rpm @5000 is plenty for a BB hydraulic cam regardless of everyone who will tell you it should spin higher
that depends on how fast you want to go...;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Springs and lifters are new. Maybe 100 miles on them. Anyway, I'll go for 5500 - 5800 rpm then. At least for a moment. On everyday use it's hard to go over 4500 anyway.

Ok, so we have one vote on Edelbrock's performer 650 cfm, any other?
And yeah, what do you mean great power? Nice street friendly low and mid range, or strong high rpm?

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 427 BB with 9 to 1 compression, a true 1967 block and 1970 open chamber heads made 400 rwhp and 450 rwtq and its shift point is 5100rpm and then it goes downhill in powerband, maybe because of the carb being a little small, but for a true show/track car I say it makes good power.....

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I swapped a Ebrock 750 for yard sale Holley 750 way back when and picked up .20. No I didnt mess with tuning the Edelbrock carb ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Bob that the Holley 750 would make the most power, the Eddy 650 is too small for the top end, and I have a powerful 427 with a Eddy 750...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mistake. I meant Edelbrock Performer 750 cfm.
What's the difference in performance between Edelbrock Performer, and Holley 4150 with same cfm? Which one will be more "street friendly"?

Will Edelbrock Performer carb suit better Edelbrock Performer intake than Holley, or it doesn't matter at all?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Hello,

My engine is:
'74 454 block
'71 LS-5 heads
Holley 4160 750 cfm carb
HEI ignition

what power and torque I can expect from this setup, and what's more important, what will be safe max rpm for it? I'm bit afraid of going anywhere higher than 5000 rpm now...

I don't really care about huge racing performance. I'm more interested in something just above "grandpa car" ;) I've read that this camshaft is bit more sport than stock one, and intake is about the same. Is that true?

Hi Mike,

Your questuion has two parts;
1) What RPM will this cam make power
2) What is a safe RPM for the rotating bottom end of a 454.

I'm not sure about the cam you have as far as power, but a stone stock 454, if built correctly, will handle 6500rpm with no problem...no problem at all.

I just stuck a 454 in my car, very similar to your engine as far as crank, rods, heads, etc. The cam was small at 224 @ .050 and this thing drops dead at 5100....power just drops off, but with a bigger cam, the bottom end would be safe at 6500rpm.

Sounds like you want a good "tree stump pulling" low-end torque cam, and your current cam should be in the ballpark. My guess is it peaks about 5500, and you aren;t gonna hurt the engine if you rev it higher, but it isn't gonna accelerate quicker if you run it much over it's peak...I've seen MANY street cars go quicker by shifting at a lower rpm.

Anyway, I bet there aren't many 454's in Poland. What's the price of gas there?? And what octane rating??

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gas price? You don't want to know... ;)
Today I've paid 7,40$ per gallon of Shell's V-Power 95 octane. Regular 95 octane is about 6,90-7$ for gallon, but you may find low quality gas. It's not common, but unfortunately happens. I try to avoid those, and stick to branded gas (usually imported from Scandinavia or Germany).

You can get 95 and 98 octane (same price, or 98 slightly higher) on every gas station.
Shell offers also V-Power 100 octane gas. It's bit over 8$ for 1 US gallon.

G

·
Hello,

My engine is:
'74 454 block
'71 LS-5 heads
Holley 4160 750 cfm carb
HEI ignition

And what's more important, what will be safe max rpm for it? I'm bit afraid of going anywhere higher than 5000 rpm now...

Thanks in advance,
Marek
OEM’s typically consider 80 ft/sec as their max safe ave piston speed. Here are some stock production engines’ redlines and the resulting ave piston speeds:

2011 5.0 Mustang GT V-8 redline = 7,000 rpm = 71 ft/sec ave piston speed

2010 Harley XR-1200, 2 cylinder motorcycle redline = 7,000 rpm = 74.1 ft/sec ave piston speed

2011 Yamaha YZF-R6, 4 cylinder 600cc motorcycle redline = 16,000 rpm = 74.4 ft/sec ave piston speed

As you can see, they are ALL well under 80 ft/sec.

Their stroke lengths:

5.0 Mustang = 3.650 in.

Harley XR-1200 = 3.812 in.

Yamaha 600 = 1.673 in.

For a stockish 454 with a 4.25 x 4.0 bore and stoke, and spinning it only 5,000 rpm, that works out to about 56 ft/sec ave piston speed.

If you used the OEM limit of 80 ft/sec, you'd end up with a redline of 7,200 rpm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts