Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to build up my stock 74 Monte's engine. I want to get Performer Intake, 4 bbl. But my Question is this: I was told that due to my stock dished pistons, any cam swap would not be worth much. Is this true? I was told by "73Malibu" that a Comp Cams XE-268H would work well with my stock heads, but are the pistons that much of a hinderance? I really want a cam, but if the dished pistons really are so bad, I don't want to waste money on cam! Help me!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Since when are you in NJ? Or am I just not that observant?

That motor really is disadvantaged with the low c/r...assumably 8.5:1

If you dont want to spend the $$$ on putting a whole new motor together, I would strongly recommend a set of 58 cc 305 chevy heads.

That cost effectively bump up the c/r, and then you can put in a nice little cam....i would reccommend something in the 450 lift range with moderate adv. duration like 268.

The regular usualy goodies....intake carb headers.....vooooila...instant hotrod

------------------
"Kickin ass on the wild side"

**Dave Armstrong**
'67 Chevelle
12.45 @ 107 mph. 1.73(best) 60ft
SOON TO BE 454 BSE!!!
'95 Firebird Formula LT1(2FST4LOV)
14.0 @ 97mph daily driver
The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

·
Premium Member
28,597 Posts
Ditto on Dave's advice..You can run all the lift you want,you just have to keep the duration under 220 @ .050 due to the low compression.I've run a particular Crane grind,454" I/E,216 duration,112 LSA in a stock 350 with headers,Performer intake,and Q-Jet..and it was 8.5 to 1 motor w/the factory heads..it ran MINT.Your real handicap is gear..you'll need something to get the RPMs up quick in a heavy car(within reason),something like a 3.42 or so,as I'm sure those Monte's only have 2.73s or 2.56's.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so you are saying I can use a cam even with my dished pistons and all and I'll still see gains? ok! Can you recommend a specific cam? With 4bbl, performer intake, (I already have headers and duals) what kind of horsepowere and tourque can I expect?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.