Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this BB but not the first time that I have visited this great site. Question #1: I have a 1970 SS with a stock power steering unit that has too much play in it. It would not matter too much to me but I have a 540 that makes about 650hp. (it gets sort of scary under full throttle). The car was built for street/strip, but I have been playing around with the idea of power touring. Either way I would like to have the car steer better. Is there a way to tighten up the stock power steering, or would I be better off just replacing the entire unit? What about the option of putting in a more modern steering unit (out of a 96 impala SS) for example. Any ideas that you guys have would be great. I am open to all ideas at this point.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just put a 540 in my '68. One thing that I was told was to ensure that the front suspension is up to par.

How are your bushings, springs, et cetera? I installed a polygraphite kit and a 1 1/4" sway bar last year and it made a huge difference on my handling.

If you were to replace your box, AGR makes a box that I had installed in my '72 a couple of years ago. 12:1 ratio and I was really happy with it. Summit sells it and it is kind of pricey ($325 I believe.)

Just some ideas, hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
My wife likes that tight feel too........oh .....wait this is about cars. Ok. The steering box has an adjustment on it and you didn't mention if you have attempted to make that adjustment. It preloads the pinion in the sector. It is the stud sticking out of the top of the steering box with a slot that you can use a flat head screw driver on. The idea here is to adjust the screw such that you have about 1/2 to 1 inch of rotational movement at the steering wheel and NO bind while going through the "center" of the steering wheel travel. If there is a bind or "high center" feel loosen the screw a 1/4 turn at a time till the bind clears and then tighten the lock nut on the screw while holding the screw in position with your screwdriver. That should help. If not its new box time since that is the only adjustment. I can only assume that you have already checked the rest of your steering components and found them sound? For what its worth I had enormously sloppy steering on my recently purchased 1972 Chevelle and I replaced the entire suspension with PST Polygraphite components. Once I got all that done I was delighted to find that my steering box was perfect and needed no adjustment. Not bad for 29 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you yanniz and 70S_GUY, how was the install on the unit. was it a pain or pretty straight forward? yanniz the sway bar is something that I have wanted to do for a while. Where did you get it from? thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The change was really straight forward. Did not have any problems at all.

I got my sway bar from PST suspension, but Hotchkis makes one as well that you can purchase from Summit or Jeggs. I think that the PST is less expensive, but I am not sure.
I purchased mine with the whole front end kit, and you get a special price on the bar that way.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I am thinking about putting the AGR box on my '68 as well. Probably next spring. I was really happy with it on the '72.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
With respect to PST and their kits I also bought a whole new front (super kit) including a 1 1/4" sway bar for the front (replaces .965 bar) and a 1" sway bar for the rear( there was no rear sway bar on the car origionally). To say that the improvement on the car was dramatic would be an understatement. Before I made the change I had way more tire than I had suspension. Now with the same tires I have way more suspension than I do tires.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome 1970_SS540!
I couldn't help but notice your location in Il.I live in Clarendon Hills.Only two minutes from you.Nice to see another 1970 Chevelle enthusiast.Do you have an email address or any pictures of your car? Do you frequent the carshows around here like Rt.66 in Willowbrook or Westmont or Downers Grove?

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mr70 my email is [email protected]. it is nice to see that there are others like me so close to home. I do go to shows now and again. I have been to route 66, downers grove. have you been to the Elmhurst show at all or duke's(harlem ave & 79th st, strat's(lake st and lagrange rd)? I go to those on occasion. I will try to scan some of the pictures of the car so you guys can see them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.