Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have recently decided that I wan't to build a 632ci motor for my 69 camaro. I don't have any experiance with big blocks over 502 ci so I need help putting together a combination of good parts for this motor. This is for a street/strip car so I would like a pump gas motor. Also on average how much horse power are pump gas 632ci motors making with mild setup's. I really apprciate it guys thanx.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
With the long stroke go with a Crower or Bryant Crank, Forged or Billet, they offer both

The Eagle cranks are good but when you start pushing long strokes they tend to show the weak spots and cause major problems, In short stroke applications they hold up very well

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Man, you're a couple of days late. I just delivered a 632 we built for a buddy to a guy in Arkansas last Sunday! My buddy bought all the good stuff....but had to get out of the toys for awhile and sold it all off. Only dyno time. It was a sweetheart!

Combo was:

Dart Big M block
Callies crank-internally balanced
Eagle 6.535 rods-upgraded bolts
Custom made Diamond 2618 pistons
Heavy wall wristpins
ATI balancer
Brodix -3Xtra CNC heads (Thanks Mike Lewis!)
Then heads were ported some more! Lots of flowbench time.
Custom Cam Motion solid roller 278-282*@.050 114 LSA .710 lift. (my buddy picked it)
.903 Isky redzone lifters
[email protected] Shaft rockers with all oiling options
Custom Smiths pushrods
Nextek Springs/titanium retainers
Ported Super Victor
AED 1150 Dominator and 1"spacer

Etc etc etc.

He wanted it to run on pump gas to run Drag Week and Pump Gas drags. So he built it big and went real mild on cam. We had another cam ground with another 10* duration and a 112 LSA as well as another .075 lift for added power if needed.

The thing idled sweet....cubes tamed down the "little" cam. Made just under 900 HP in pure street trim, 20/50 Dino oil, belt driven water pump and no Dyno tricks.

Really needed the *Big* cam...and if it was my motor it would have had much larger heads......but overall he was very happy with it.

JIM

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
How much money do you want to spend? How many rpms are you willing to turn, how streatable do you want it to be, what is your definition of "streetable" How much maintenance do you want to have to do.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have built a 632 and if I had to do it again I would build a 598 if I was limited to a 10.2 block with stock cam location. If I were building the 632 I would go with a 10.6 block and a raised cam.

With the 10.2 and standard cam there is interference everywhere. You need a small base circle cam to get the rods to clear if they are aluminum, the piston skirts are hanging out of the bottom of the cylinder at BDC, and the angularity is bad even with a 6.7 rod. The block has to be clearanced for the rods on both the bottom of the cylinder and the oil pan rail. This is with the Dart big M, some other blocks are even harder to work with. It would not be as bad with steel rods.

To get a 632 to make and maintain power above 6500 the heads need to flow in the mid to high 400's, the cam lift will have to be near .900 to have enough valve open area to feed the engine at peak cylinder velocity that will be close to 75 degrees ATDC.

A 632 is sexy sounding but if you cannot do what you want to with 598 inches you can always put 150hp of nitrous on it an exceed anything the 632 would be capable of naturally aspirated, assuming the engines use the same style of parts.

I am not sure what you want for power. The engine I am describing will make 1100-1200 naturally aspirated horsepower with a tunnel ram and two dominators. If you want a 632 for bragging rights with 800-900 horsepower be prepared to get you doors blown off buy a smaller engine.

After rereading what you have said you want, streetable, pump gas, etc, I guess I have went overboard. A smaller engine will give you all you need with a lot less work and expense. I really doubt that in a street car you could tell much difference with a 582, 598, 604,622, or 632. They will all overpower the highway, blow the tires off anywhere, and more than do what you want. That all being said, if you are dead set on a 632 that is what you should build.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
If you're financially and mentally ready for oil pan clearance issues, hood clearance issues and custom headers then by all means put together a 632, they're great. If not, I'd go with a 572 and save yourself a whole lot of headaches.
Mike

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
You'll be doing a lot of work to run one of those. A pan good enough to handle the windage from the big crank won't fit a Chevelle crossmember. the crossmember has to be chopped up, a non-trivial fabricating deal.

Mike is right about the custom headers, they'll add something like $1500 to the bill.

Lots of stuff to deal with here, if you're not experienced with this stuff then fall back and re-group at 540, 565 or 572. Stick with a 4.25 crank to avoid the pan issues.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You can find used headers that will fit at a good price. I would stick with a 4.375 4.5 or 4.625 stroke crank. 4.75 is pretty lazy not unless your gonna spray the heck out of it.

But a nice 555-598 will do the same. You could be sneaky and do 4.5 stroke in a 9.8 deck. I have a piston design that will work.

Sean

Sean

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You'll be doing a lot of work to run one of those. A pan good enough to handle the windage from the big crank won't fit a Chevelle crossmember. the crossmember has to be chopped up, a non-trivial fabricating deal.

Mike is right about the custom headers, they'll add something like $1500 to the bill.

Lots of stuff to deal with here, if you're not experienced with this stuff then fall back and re-group at 540, 565 or 572. Stick with a 4.25 crank to avoid the pan issues.

Actually I did nothing to my crossmember to fit the pan. We lifted the engine from the stock location (abt 1/2 inch) and used motor plates to mount it.

After the engine was up a bit, it was just a matter of custom headers and she was in.

It def was some work to get it in but it was worth it (to me) now that it's there.

EDIT: I just reread the original post and seen that his 632 will go into a CAMARO, so everything I just wrote is irrelevant to his situation lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts