Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a GM 502/502 HP complete crate engine and need some help from anyone who has installed one in a 66 chevelle. I know there are pans designed for the mark 6 from milidon, moroso, hamburg, and gm. I have read that some limit the steering on a 64-66 but i don't know which one. I don't want that. Also, I would be satisfied with the GM 4 quart pan unless someone knows why i should go for a 6 or 7 quart pan. After all, thats all they came with from the factory. I guess i would rather have the smaller pan if thats what it takes to get the full steering radius. Also, I've heard several different versions (even from the people who sell them) on wether you can only use an electric fuel pump and if there is a boss for the clutch limkage which can be drilled and tapped or wether you have to use a special bracket. Has anyone tried to drill and tap this? My Dad is a machinest, but i would get a little nervous drilling holes in a $7000 engine. Any suggestions from anyone who has installed one in a 66 would be greatly appreciated.Also does anyone know where to get one any cheaper than $6100 plus shipping, flywheel, special clutch bracket, oil pan and pickup, and assembly (may try it myself)? Totals about $7,000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pace Pontiac www.paceparts.com in Youngstown, Ohio has them as cheap as any place I've seen. The 502 block definetly does NOT have a fuel pump boss. I'll see if I can find the info on the clutch linkage in the 3 foot stack of magazines beside me and let you know. I'm not sure on the oil pan, so I won't comment on that. Good luck on the project!
July 1999 prices $4875 for the base 502/502
$5690.10 for the premium 502/502
sswinger.home.att.net/index5.htm for their advertisement.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA
sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 12-21-1999).]

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 12-21-1999).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just found the info on clutch hookup. Click on my index5 above to see the info I scanned from a book. Hope this helps. Stop by my web page if you have time.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA
sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.