Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice here on what to do next...over this past weekend I was putting the Chevelle away for the winter, when just for the hec of it I decided to check the VIN on the blue door sticker with the VIN on my registration- much to my surprise they don't match!! The blue sticker matches the VIN plate on the car, but the registration and the title I have to do not match the car.
The reg. & title have 1 extra number and one wrong number in the sequence. The VIN plate is worn and hard to read and the numbers are only off by a digit or two...for instance, an 8 on the VIN plate was reported as a 3 on the reg.& title and there was an extra 5 added after an original 5 as if it was a typo on the reg./VIN.
Am I going to be run through the mill if I bring this up to the DMV? I've had this car for 2 years now and never realized this, the blue sticker which is very clear and easy to read was revealed by me a couple of months ago after I scraped the paint off it was covered by.

------------------
Bob C.
70 Malibu
TC Gold Member #169
N.E. Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085
[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bob, I had a similar problem on an LS-6 car. Around 1980 a number in the VIN was left out (3 "9's" instead of the correct 4 "9's") of my title and the mistake was repeated several additinal times as the car was sold. No one ever caught the error until I did. You will need to do a title search and figure out when the mistake was made. Hopefully, it has remained in the same state. You'll need to bring the car to the DMV so it can be visually verified. I was not as lucky. My problen was enventually corrected, but MAJOR hassle. Good luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You definitely should have it corrected through your state's DMV. In Illinois, you apply for a corrected title, and they then send you a form to have a local law enforcement agency inspect the car and fill in the correct VIN on the corrected title application. It's best to have it taken care of now, rather than when you sell the car.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There is one other option. Don't ever sell the car and pretend you never noticed it!

I wouldn't want to get into this with any DMV. Who knows what will happen.

Just a thought.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Before taking your car ANYWHERE, go by or call (get more than one opinion) and get instructions about how to resolve the mistake. Once you get what seems to be the best and easiest answer, then take the car to the place that offers the best solution. In Okla, some of these matters are easy to resolve, and some are very stupid.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This car has remained in the same state (MA)until I bought it which requires a title, and now resides in a different state. The state I live in now (NH) does not require a title for cars over 10-15 years old (I can't remember which). Is this going to cost me some $$ to resolve either way?

------------------
Bob C.
70 Malibu
TC Gold Member #169
[email protected]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:
I called my local Town Clerks office here where I register the vehicle and explained my dilema to them. They told me no problem...just bring down the registration with the correct number and they'll make the change. Since NH doesn't require titles for older vehicles they don't care as long as the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the registration <phew>. I have already proved to them I own the car when I first registered it through the Bill of Sale and the title that was signed over to me, even though it had the wrong VIN.
I guess that's why our states motto is "Live Free or Die"

------------------
Bob C.
70 Malibu
TC Gold Member #169
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.