Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '72 SS, Vin # 1D37W2R553909. According to this #, the unit number is 553909, but the tag under the hood has a 29... number. What does this mean? I took the car to the state patrol (since I purchased it out of state) and since the engine and transmission did not match, they will need to find one more matching # (other than the VIN#) to clear the car. I would think that the unit #, if it matched would have done it.
Can you please help me? Am I being paranoid thinking that the car might be stolen property since those two numbers do not match?
Thank you

·
Registered
283 Posts
Could be just a typo. The vin is stamped in several other places on the car depending on the year/model.I have seen them on the fire wall under the heater box,rear package shelf, floor pan and under the headliner. Law enforcement angencys have the locations listed. if they match the tag then you have a typo on the paperwork (it happens). Be aware that there are pros that change those out to but usually only to vary rare cars.
Harley

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
The body (BDY) number on the cowl tag will never match the car's VIN. This body number is a number assigned by Fisher Body at the plant when the body is built to identify the body.
With a '72, it is possible that there is a VIN stamped in the heater blower housing, but you'll have to really work to find it, if it's even there. The only other place you will find a VIN is on the frame, and that's not visible with the body on. If you could find a build sheet, that will make a connection with the body number and the VIN.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I bought a car from out of state and had it inspected by the DMV in order to get an AZ title. It needed two inspections to succeed. The second inspection was for the numbers on the frame because the printed vin label on the driver's door was gone. This went quickly and seemed to be no problem for the DMV. Should go the same for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.