Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
As far as I know all BBC's have the threaded hole in the block for the rear starter bracket. IMO the bracket is a must for high compression motors and is nice to have for daily drivers. I prefer the iron nose starters over the alumn. nose due to the shimming problems I've encountered, it seems the iron nose starters fit better and you can use them in either auto or standard shift bell housings.

Bob made the comment about the weak battery or poor/corroded battery cables. This is the first place to look. 9 times out of 10 this is where the problem lies. IMO, those cables you get at Auto Zone and the like are kinda cheesy. The engine is grounded to the frame, right? Double check you electrical system first and make sure it's up to par.

Have you checked the mesh of the bendix gear with the flywheel? There should be a hole on the nose of the starter that will allow you to pry the bendix gear out to the flywheel and visually inspect for proper mesh. If not, generally there is enough room to get at the gear from the flywheel side of the starter (PITA).

If after all this it still wants to grind, have a bud spin the starter while you watch the starter. If you see the back end of the starter jump up as it engages the flywheel, you need the aft starter bracket installed. Hope this helps.

Rob

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.