Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I've seen so many nice cars here..so i value your opinions. My 70 SS 396 El Camino is getting its periodic "refresh". I was going to just do some underhood touch up and replace the T/A radials (215/70's) which are mounted on correct SS wheels. Now, I am a little bored with the stock "original" look and am considering doing a few things to sharpen it up....a set of polished Torque thrust II's probably 16x7's front and 17X7's in the rear with carefully selected tires, then about an inch and a half drop spring, just to fet the nose down even...and a few more (subtle) chrome trim pieces under hood.
I've about convinced myself that the a little flashier (read-more fun)would be a nice change, and if I keep all of the orig parts...it would be easy to restore it to "factory" again........OPINIONS??

·
Registered
514 Posts
does it have the original motor and tranny? Is the car an original SS? Whatever yu decide to do keep you stock parts around incase later on you can bolt them back on and still have an original SS… just a thought…

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agree with 406 that if it's #'s matching original SS to keep all the parts for value. Otherwise . . GO FOR IT!!

------------------
Phil
"I don't believe I'da told that"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just remember, it's YOUR CAR, do whatever makes you smile when you take the car cover off. That's what it's all about.

I also agree with the other posts, if you take something off, do so very very very gently, and store all the original pieces in a very safe, dry place so if the time comes to sell, back to #'s matching it goes.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Do what you want to do it is your car.
One thing I will do is throw in my opinion.
First of all I love the Tq Trust wheels but it seem lately like people forgot that anyone else makes wheels. On Power Tour this year it was hard to find a car that did not have them. I predict with in the next year you are going to see used ones cheap all over the place. The ballon is going to pop and everyone will be looking for a new look.
Just my .02

------------------
78 Malibu
still a terd but now with a new 383

67 Wagon
project soon to be LT1 / 4L60E / 12 bolt posi daily driver

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I would keep everything! The way i figure it, the all original cars are beautiful (especially Rick Peters 70 SS), I like that look for the classic Chevelle SS's. While mine is an original number match, the wheels/tires and suspension is purely cosmetic and would give the car much more "wow" factor. A bone stock camino is a little (don't get offended here Camino guys) blah...I like a combo of a stock color paint (currently red/black striped hood) with nice wheels tires/exhaust and "stance"....changes it from nice to whoa! I am planning on original hoses/clamps fittings and fasteners, along with the stock chrome valve covers/air cleaner, but with a few extra trim/stainless pieces like the polished intake bolts and the little things like a nice Edelbrock waterpump (satin finish/clearcoated) and maybe a chrome fan/with the stock shroud. Keeping any of the orig parts/it would be easy to return to stock...but I probably would not want to. Now the only other thing is that I really hate to lose my nice SS wheels..that os why I thought MAYBE of just doing the real resto correct bias ply raised white letter tires and leaving it....not braggin, the car is real nice just as it sits...just doesn't seem to have the "flash factor".......

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Believe me, a fully correctly restored car has plenty of "flash factor" and "wow". Take a look at any car show, where does everyone hang out the most? In front of the full-blown restorations and high quality survivors. Why? Because these cars represent the heritage of the breed.

Of course take my comments with a grain of salt, I like my muscle restored. That said, I also like having my '69 SS wheels, fat sticky tires, heavy anti-sway bars front and rear, serious shocks and boxed rear lower control arms on my '65 because it makes it so much more pleasant to drive. For the shows these parts lose out to the stock items however. I'd never dream of changing a thing under the hood to alter the stock look of my L79, I think Chevy did a pretty good job with that as it is!

You have to please yourself, but keep in mind well restored cars seem to stand out more nowadays since modified cars are much more common.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich, your car is really nice. Also check out the GTO... I used to live down the street from a guy named Dave Blair, he was at the time considered to be one of the worlds foremost Pontiac "partisans". Had a simply incredible collection of 64-70 Pontiacs (gto's-judges-ram air 4 firebirds). The cars were almost all purchased new and were absolutely loaded, and were beyond showroom condition...all orig. I remember trying to decide...umm do I want to drive the Ram Air 4 Firebird..or the "judge". I chose the FB...he went around the corner first in the judge...I went around the corner and to the outside lane...nailed it and passed (smoked) him before I got out of first (both were auto's)....probably some of the nicest cars in the US. I wonder if he still has them.....used to register them to the police station just in case someone saw him and ran the plates. !!! Enjoy your GTO.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
personally i prefer the stock look...

mine is not numbers matching and some day i will build a real motor but i will keep it looking fairly stock...maybe the infamous gene chaas orange painted rpm manifold trick since everything else is hidden

------------------
Rich Baratta
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
May 2001 Feature Car
BSE WannaBe
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.