Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need your help, a couple days ago I mounted my new tires at work(I work at a speed shop, not a tire shop) and accidently over-tightened my valve stem in my driver side tire, now it is slowly leaking air, how can I get that da** thing out of there so I can install a new one. Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Jim - '68 Chevelle/Sportsman

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry, I also forgot to include that me over tightening it caused the little stem on the top to snap off, that's why I can't get the standard valve stem tool on it. Thanks again!
Jim

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Don't the stems just slip in from the inside of the rim? Could you un-mount the tire and replace the entire valve dohicky? (technical term there)

Kurt

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Here's what you are going to have to do.

1. Let all the air out of the tire.
2. Either push the tire down or demount it.
3. Use a pair of pliers and pull the bad valve stem out.
4. put a new valve stem in
5. put everything back together

that should be about it....

------------------
J.J. Fig
MCC member #256
Maryland Chevelle Club
Dad's 69 SS
Mom's 71 SS Convertible

·
Registered
813 Posts
FIG has it right. All you need to to is break the top bead and push the tire down like he said, then cut the butt off the valvestem and pull it out. . . but good luck breaking that bead.
I work at a tire shop, and have to do this alot, and there is really no way (that i know of) to break the bead without the machine. Once it's set, it's set. Not ever with 2 people and prybars can we get the apart.
I would recommend taking it to a tire place. they should do it for free in about 2 minutes.

(there is one other way, but you risk messing up your wheel. Deflate the tire, then drive a car onto one side of the tire (NOT THE WHEEL!!). The pressure will break the bead loose)

-Matt

------------------
1971 Malibu 350/TH350 (soon to be 383/4 speed)
"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"

CAR

ENGINE

·
Registered
501 Posts
You can break the bead with a tire machine, or you can do it the junk yard way. Drive another car over the tire. hahah so simple. I learned that from an old timer junk yard guy.

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.