Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, I must apoligize. This is a long one! Sorry.
Anyway, I want to rebuild the muncie M21 trans in my 66ss. It shifted good when I pulled it, somtimes grnding from 2nd into 3rd and accasionally going into reverse. I was going to have a shop do it but they want 900 bucks! Is this what the common price is for having these rebuilt, cause for that price I could find a good rockcrusher. Anyway they told me all they really need is the case to be in good cond. They say that they replace everything inside, gears, synchros, shafts, the whole 9 yds. This still sounds spendy to me so I am willing to rebuild it myself unless this you all feel this is reasonable. I have been told that thier not that hard to rebuild anyway. Here are some questions I have.

1. I have a press at my work but what else is required for pressing the parts?
2. Does someone publish a manual or book on doing these trannys?
3. What gear oil do I use after im done?
4. And what parts are commonly replaced when rebuilding these? (synchros im sure.)
5. And finally I noticed that the resto places like Year One and OPG have rebuild kits, where else can I find parts?

Thanks Everyone for helping me out and sorry for this long post.
Chris R.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chris;

They are NOT hard to rebuild! I did one a couple years back.

I'd recommend that you get the factory manual plus look at Barnes & Noble for what is currently out there.

It didn't take any special tools, but one thing I'd recommend is that you get an old "lay gear" shaft and cut it short (so the length matches the length of the "lay gear". This way, you can have it hold all the roller bearings in place when you drop it in. Then the real shaft is slid in (through the end of the case), sliding out the old one on the other end. Otherwise, the rollers like to jump all over the place!!

I'd count on replacing the syncros, all the bearings and the thrust washers.

Wes.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Chris, For Gods sake don't spend that kind of money!!!!!!! I can help you rebuild it yourself for under $200! Since you don't have email, call me at home. I'm usually up late. It will take to long to reply here.
Tom Parsons
405-745-8383
I will help you get started. You WILL need a couple of good pointers and I need to get a little more info from you as well. I can help you with anything you need to know. Been building Muncies over 30yrs.

------------------

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just finished rebuilding my Muncie and used the kit from Year One. I checked the Gearzone Kit and thought it was a little more complete, but already had the Year One kit so used it. Never rebuilt one before but had no trouble. $900 is way too much.
Good luck.

Aces 209

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.