Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing my 12 bolt rear end & rear suspension in my '68 today.
I ordered polyurethane axle housing bushings, here is what I received...

I received two sets of the above bushing.
I'm assuming the 3 pieces of each bushing go together like this...

The problem is, the entire bushing can be tapped right through the bushing hole in the axle housing.
There is no metal sleeve around the bushing such as a stock bushing has, and nothing to prevent the bushing from going through the hole in the axle housing.

Is this normal, or did they send me the wrong poly bushing?

Also, what parts of the poly bushing do I put the lube on?
Do I put lube between the inner metal sleeve and the inside of the bushing and also on the outer part of the bushing?

Thanks,
-Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
you have to reuse your old sleeves and you put the lube on outer part of bushing that slides in sleeve and on any surface that will touch metal

·
Registered
67 Posts
you have to reuse your old sleeves and you put the lube on outer part of bushing that slides in sleeve and on any surface that will touch metal also just did my 72 chevelle and it came with new metal sleeves

·
Registered
50 Posts
Like mentioned above, you will need to reuse your existing sleeves. I just did this on my rearend and the Energy Suspension kit included all new sleeves except the front lower control arm rear bushing which was oval on my application and I had to reuse the original sleeve.

This is the Energy Suspension kit for the rear:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-3132G/

Note how the small bushing goes inside the sleeve, and the larger one fits over the sleeve.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
72inalaska said:
you have to reuse your old sleeves...

Great...I don't have any old sleeves.
Thanks, at least I know what the problem is with them now.
They probably don't sell just the sleeves at the auto parts store, so I assume I'll just have to buy complete new bushings.

Is that a fairly common bushing that I might be able to get at the local NAPA store, or will I probably have to order it?

Also, thanks for the info on where to lube the bushings.

-Greg

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts