Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm a novice when it comes to cars electrical systems.

Here's the deal. I bought a '67 project a year and a half ago. It was completely apart when I bought it so I have no reference point to start with. I bought and installed all new M&H harnesses for the car except for the A/C harness, which I don't plan on hooking up for a while. This weekend, I made the battery connections to the starter and grounded the battery. I connected the voltage regulator (Wells VR-715...I have a Dave Ray small body HEI setup). I turn the key and nothing happens....no lights or any power to the fuse block. I have only a simple circuit tester and I see that I'm getting power at the solenoid but nothing past that. Shouldn't I have power coming off of one of the 2 small poles on the solenoid? Also, are there other grounds or power connections that I need to hook up? I noticed a heavy gauge red wire on my headlight harness that looks like it should connect to the pos batt pigtail (per wiring diagram in assembly manual). I alligator clipped those 2 together and got no change.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Mark

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
No you won't see power on the 2 small solenoid terminals at this point. You should have the small positive battery lead tied to the junction block need the battery. A wire runs from there to the horn relay. The large wire out of the engine harness ties to the horn relay. Any power on the horn relay?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Either there or to the alternator. The alternator then ties to the horn relay. Sorry for the poor answer. Just doing this off the top of my head. All these items need to be tied together. Maybe someone with a wiring diagram can jump in and tell you the exact locations.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As a minimum, there should be a large red wire from the outside firewall connector (light harness), the alternator and the battery connected together at the horn relay.

The battery wire origionally connected through another junction behind the battery but it could just be run directly.

On a convertible there is another red wire going from the horn relay to a seperate connector on the firewall to power the top. It's probably also there if you have power windows.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks to you guys, I have power. Thanks again. Of course, now a new problem has appeared!

Blinkers, parking lights, reverse lights all working....BUT...the parking lamps stay on in the rear without the switch on or even the key in. The only way I can turn them off is by disconnecting the battery. Also, dome light is not working. Any ideas?

TIA!

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
sounds like your brake lite switch is not adjusted

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
yes but is it working ? it makes a ground if its dirty & grounded all the time ....

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
check with meter to see if it makes & breaks circut disconect wire to it & make circut to frame thru it ... one lead on ground one lead on wire circut should break when switch pushed in

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
just disconect the wire & see if lites go out ..

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Reversing in won't do anything. As the man suggested, just pull off the connector and see if they go out. Do it with the tail light fuse installed. You sure you pulled the right fuse?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts