Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1966 Chevelle 327. I bought the Edelbrock top end kit #2099 with the retro cam #2201 for the early blocks that didn't have a hydraulic roller cam. After taking my top end off we found out that my block is no good. I'm stuck with this kit from Edlebrock and no bottom end to put it on. Does anyone make a Gen 1 block I can use, or is there a new block out there someplace. I have been calling all over Texas and nobody can give me a solid "yes this block will work with that kit". Do any of you guys have any ideas for me. I need to buy a block within the next few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The block is not completely bad the shop told me that .030 over could fix the scratch. I just don't have the $2600 for the machine work.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Just to clarify, Your shop want $2600.00 to bore the cylinders? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Wait....first off...$2600 for machine work....are you F'in KIDDING ME!? Run from that dude...If your looking for a 327ci block that is going to be hard to do. 350ci is much easier. To run the camshaft you will need a set of RETRO FIT hyd roller lifters the hyd lifters the block orginally used wont work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes $2600 to bore and purchase the new items. I would still need to pay my engine builder after he gets the block back. So that is $2600 plus whatever my engine builder is going to charge to build it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait....first off...$2600 for machine work....are you F'in KIDDING ME!? Run from that dude...If your looking for a 327ci block that is going to be hard to do. 350ci is much easier. To run the camshaft you will need a set of RETRO FIT hyd roller lifters the hyd lifters the block orginally used wont work.

Yea I already have the roller rockers and roller lifters

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
PM Sent. You can use any 350ci block for the kit. If you use a newer block, than you have to use the proper flexplate to match the 1pc seal. Im curious to see what this $2600 intails....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Purchase WHAT "new items?" Just what exactly would you get for $2600 besides an overbore?
I'm not sure, because I didn't talk to him. My engine guy called him, and after that he said that was too much and to look for a short block if possible.

·
Premium Member
18,299 Posts
Wait, doesn't your "engine guy" know? Or is this a " Wanted 66 SBC block " ad?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think what's being lost in translation here is that $2600 for an overbore is so out of the realm of reality that's it's laughable. You could have 10 blocks bored for that. So, 1. Either that shop is trying to take your money, or 2. There's more parts needed that you don't know about or 3. Your engine builder did not communicate well with the shop. Sounds like the shop is quoting you the price for the Eddy top end kit too and from your post it sounds like you already have that. If all it needs is thirty over find another shop and pay your $200. What a mess.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
WOW 2600, I had all my machine work done crank turned,bored 30,cam bearings installed and freeze plugs heads reworked with new vavle and springs with engine kit cost me 936 dollars for a 454.I put the motor together.That guy is crazy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
stage 11 you are being ripped off.call mike lewis [wofeplace] at least i know he will tell you strait ,and he may be able to help on short block or other parts as well.dont let the machine shop keep your block either.good luck with your project.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
run, don't walk in any direction that's away from those guys. Sounds like they're both trying to use you to fund their trips to Hawaii.

No comments re: vaseline.....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You can get a complete 327 long block from Schmucks for about $1900.00 and change

1 - 20 of 39 Posts