Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im restoring my 72 Chevelle Convertible, and I need to find a replacement panel. My first problem is I don't know what it is called. If you raise the trunk lid, there is a lip that the weather stripping is mounted to. It is just in front of the rear bumper. This is rusted from quarter to quarter.

If you know where to get one of these, or what it's called, please let me know.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think that you are refering to the rear valance panel, because that is below the rear bumper. You mean that when you open the truck, it is the metal just below where the trunk closes, above the bumper?
Have you checked Year One? Or perhaps Ground Up? I would even think that maybe somewhere like OPG would have something...
If you could be a little more descriptive, we might be able to find out a name of that area for you... but is this where you are refering to? Mine was rusted on my 71, too...

I didn't replace mine, although I did sand and repair the spots that were really bad... let me know if you find somewhere that offers the metal for this...

------------------
Julia
'71 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by Raven (edited 05-24-99).]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but the rear valance is below the bumper, and not what I need.

Raven, I think your on the right track. It is not seen realy well until you remove the weather striping, and the rear bumper. It would need to be welded in.

I checked a few years back, but no one know what I wanted. What did you do for replacement?

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
it is probably going to be very difficult to find a reproduction piece for this, so you may do better by contacting the salvage yards that specialize in older cars. there are several here in Arizona and some of them advertise in Hemmings and other magazines. At least you will have the comfort of knowing that the used panel is a genuine part and will fit properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.