Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to contact Snake Oyl? Or is it Snake Oil?

I tried 1-800 directory assistance but no luck.

Thanks!

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Al. I called them. They quoted me $185 per belt !! Just about fell off my chair. I think I'll go with the other vendor I mentioned to you in my private email.

[This message has been edited by Stan (edited 08-10-99).]

·
Administrator
3,372 Posts
Hey Stan. If you are pleased with the outfit you are going with, please share it with us.
$185 per belt sounds ridiculous. We buy entire rolls of seat belt webbing and re-do our own so I've never inquired.

·
Super Moderator
12,693 Posts
Stan and Al,
Unfortunately, I would bet that $160 of the cost goes to product liability insurance. Its a sad commentary of the day and has caused me to turn down quite a bit of performance work that is on the cutting edge because my insurance will not cover me if someone gets hurt using a motor or whatever at the race track.
By the way Al, I hate to scare anyone, but what happens if you re-web a belt. Sell the car, car gets in wreck, belt breaks or comes loose, someone gets badly hurt....first question out of the lawyers mouth is "who did the belts??" Same thing goes for cutting brake rotors under specs, lightening flywheels, you name it. Just be careful, I would hate to see anyone lose it all over a couple of dollar seat belts.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 08-10-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey guys, how do you re-web a seatbelt?? I would think that a serious safety item like that would be left to a professional. My mom is a serious quilter/sewer, and has some serious professional machinery. Is this something to be done by a do-it-yourselfer??

·
Administrator
16,170 Posts
I would like to add that seat belts are considered unusable after the car has been in an accident. Beware of getting used ones from a wrecked vehicle. I have convinced my insurance company of this and they replaced the belts that were in use at the time of the accident. If getting used ones try to see them in the vehicle. I get mine from cars that have just died of natural causes rather then from ones that have been killed.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 08-11-99).]

·
Administrator
3,372 Posts
The reason we question the price is Stan found another company that does 4 for $285.

I should have clarified doing our own, but assumed that everyone already heard this. My wife has her certificated master crafts in auto upholstery and we have the proper tools and techniques. (we no longer do work for others though) I'd take properly reworked seatbelts to original 30+ year belts anyday - you should see some of those old threads.

I'm very familiar with liabilities. We owned a shop for 15 years or so and did a LOT of autoglass, brakes and other potential trouble spots.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll let you all know how the belts look when I receive them next week. I believe the material is new and resewn using the original for the pattern - in other words, only the buckle and anchor are original.

[This message has been edited by Stan (edited 08-11-99).]

W

·
0 Posts
I had a set if Simpson race car delts updated and the new SEMA patch applied by Simpson for $22! Yep thats right, $22.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.