Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '71 Chevelle SS and I am haveing some electrical trouble. When I bought the car I noticed that the dash lights weren't working, so I founf a blown fuse and replaced it. Once I did and then turned the headlights on, I noticed that the turn signals would operate in the opposite direction than what they are supposed to in the dash, but outside the car, they worked the way that they were supposed to. But when the headlights are off, the turn signals work as they normally should. Also, the fuse that controls the dash lights keeps blowing. Does anyone know what might cause this and how to fix it? Any information that you have would be extremely helpful.

Thanks a lot,
DRW

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would replace your headlight switch... its very easy and fairly cheap and most parts stores will have a replacement.. the rheostat in mine went bad and blew fuses.. as for the turn signal thing, no idea but there has been many posts about similar problems.. i bet if you did a search you'd find your answer..

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

[This message has been edited by mike reeh (edited 07-14-99).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar problem in my 70 SS 396 after taking apart the dash. I found that I had loosend a ground connection on the bottom of the dash, up and a little to the right of the emergency brake. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
834 Posts
And time you have trouble with your headlight switch, replace it immediately. I'll tell you a story.

My switch worked fine on and off, but for dimming the interior lights it sucked, it either turned them on or off, or half way between, not nice and smooth like they are supposed too. I thought, ah, why go through the hassle of changing the switch. A couple months later i was driving home from the city and the kick panel vents were open and all of a sudden this awful smell filled the car. I thought it was from outside so I closed the vents and windows but it still hung around. Then all of a sudden I started to see this glow on the left side of my speedo, I went to shut off the interior lights to see what it was and when I grabbed the knob it was super hot, to hot to touch for more than a couple seconds. My light switch was on fire. Well ****, i've never freaked out like I did that night, I tell you my car is my pride and joy and if it burned because I was to lazy to change a 20 dollar light switch I would kill myself. Luckily I had been doing a lot of work under the dash lately and only had it partially screwed down, and the corner screws were missing, so I lifted the corner of the dash and managed to blow out the flames. Jumped into the car, 120mph flight for bout a mile, stop and blow out flames again, another 120mph flight to a gas station where I blew out the flames again. Removed the dash, removed the light switch, and had to wait for 2 hours for my dad to show up with a car trailer (there was no way I was leaving my car overnight in the town I was in, I would have slept in it first). When I got the new switch I found out it was only worth 20 bucks, and takes 30 minutes to change, so don't be lazy, fix it now!

Also, if your ignition switch doesn't lock, (when I got my car I could start it without a key) it only costs about 20 bucks for that to so don't be slack about that either.

Sorry for the long post but maybe it'll put enough fear into you to fix it now

Chris

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the same problem with the turn signals. Also when you turn on the head lights do the turn signal indicator lights come on dimly ??? I suspect a ground problem BUT have not found it yet.
I am not blowing fuses or have any other problem so I haven't been trying to fix it. Think I'll wait until early winter after the car comes off the road for winter.

Let us know what you find and I'll do the same in a couple of months.

------------------
Bill Taylor
Team Chevelle
Gold Member #73

·
Registered
35 Posts
When ever I have had crazy electrical problems like this it has always been bad grounding. Get an ohm meter (without any power on) and start checking for ungrounded circuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have already replaced the light switch, but it still does the same thing, and yes, the signals do come one dimly when the headlights are turned on. I was thinking that it might be a grounding problem, but I wasn't sure where to check for ground.

Thanks for all the input,

Damion

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't know if it is the same on yours as my 69 but I have a ground wire that attaches the headlight switch to the metal backing of the gauge cluster and another ground wire from there connects to the ground wire in the harness. Hope this helps..

------------------
Frank
69-454-456
Gold Member # 216

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same exact problem in mine. The dim accessory lights means you have a ground problem, it could be anywhere so you need to check everything. Found I needed to fix several grounds until it was corrected. As far as the turn signals, do you mean the left dash indicator registers on the right side outside the car??

I invested the $9 in the chevelle wiring diagram (avail from Ground UP, I believe) and it has helped me solve all my problems with electrical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd,

I mean when I turn on the left turn signal, the right blinker comes on in the dash when the headlights are on, but the left lights work correctly on the outside of the car. I don't know if my car has a ground strap from the firewall to the valve cover bolt, would that make a difference?

Thanks,

Drw

·
Registered
336 Posts
GENE that story about your light switch is EXACTLY what happened to me except it was during the day and I got home okay.. and to make things wierder, my car doesnt need a key to start! I've had it apart to fix other stuff in the column but figured they fixed it so that they didnt have to go through the trouble of matching the keys for door & ignition... what exactly is the fix for the ign. switch?

it was almost scary, the similarity between your story and mine.. that awful smell, etc..

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.