Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What "moly" piston rings should I use in a Gen VI block with H581CP .060 pistons? Part numbers would be helpful if you have them.

Thanks !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I looked up these rings on several sites and the applications shown are for use with the older Mark IV blocks and not the Gen VI blocks. Does it matter it is a Gen VI ?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks. I looked up these rings on several sites and the applications shown are for use with the older Mark IV blocks and not the Gen VI blocks. Does it matter it is a Gen VI ?
no IT DOESNT matter , the blocks use the same pistons ! basically the block uses the same stroke,rod lenght,bore,and deck hieght (the 454) ...so it will be the same .

NOw you can reference the e233k over to other brands if you wish .. BUT the speedpro would be my choice !

good luck .

jason

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
no IT DOESNT matter , the blocks use the same pistons ! basically the block uses the same stroke,rod lenght,bore,and deck hieght (the 454) ...so it will be the same .
You must be real careful when choosing rings for late model GM engines. In 1991 GM began using "shallow" (reduced radial thickness) oil ring assemblies in the 454. Therefore, if using a "stock" piston, you must use rings with the shallow oil ring.
Now I am assuming that Malibuster is referring to the FM #H518CP piston, which is specified for the 1983-89 engine, with "standard" oil ring groove depth. E233K Sealed Power or R9905 Speed Pro ring set (or an equivalent set from other manufacturers) can be used with these pistons.

Personally, I prefer Akerly & Childs ring sets for performance applications. You can reach them at 661.702.1907, ask for Ray or Steve. They can accurately answer any and all questions regarding rings and bearings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engineguy.....I see in your reply that you mention FM #H518CP, I hope this is just a typo as I am using the FM H581CP pistons and 781 heads for this Gen VI build.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Engine guy is absolutely right, I helped a guy rebuild a Gen 6 who got pistons for the Gen 6 (shorter skirts) and rings for a Mark IV. We couldn't even get the rings completely compressed due to the shallower ring groove.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Engineguy.....I see in your reply that you mention FM #H518CP, I hope this is just a typo as I am using the FM H581CP pistons and 781 heads for this Gen VI build.
Rick,
Both pistons use the same rings so it does not matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts