Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal....

About 6 months ago I spent $160 bucks for a proform HEI. It lasted for about 3 months and the coil died. I took it back to the speed shop and they gave me no probs and swapped it out for me. I have had this one for about 3 months and last night I parked the car in the garage and went to start it about 10 min later and nothin'. I definately have switched voltage going in and I definately have no spark at the plug. The disto is spinning so I know there is no internal prob.

My question is this......should I go to a different brand HEI of should I go points and why?

Thanks,

------------------
Nathan
67 300 2DR Sedan 383/TH350 3.73 POSI
TC Member # 1222

383 Now in the 'velle and I am in the process of dialing it in.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
The change to points would be a big step backward (although your luck with the HEI is not looking too good!) I have a couple cars with HEI's from salvage yards and they seem to work ok. I replace the pickup coil and look over the weights and anything else I can see. So far (4 years) everything is working nicley. Maybe Proform is the problem. so,I really prefer a good Delco distributor with a little freshening up. The costs go like so: $15-$20 for the distributor, $15-$20 for the pickup and whatever a set of wires costs. The total will be under $75.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do the same as JWagner. Go to the junk yard find a nice HEI distributor (I like monte carlo dist.) take it home freshen it up and spend the extra money you saved not buying some big brand dist. on gas. We all know how cheap that stuff is nowadays.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
When you do freshen it up, stick to Delco components, especially the electronic module. This is not meant to be a GM ad.
My son's Camaro, with stock HEI, used to eat these things including major name replacements. Spent some time on the phone to a couple of engineers in Detroit asking them why the car ate these. Got nowhere. (We are not here to fix your car.)
Finally switched to a Delco module and things were better.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Everybody's experiences will differ, but I have put thousands of miles on my Pro Form with nary a hint of trouble. Many of the aftermarket HEI's utilize most of the Pro Form distributor with few changes. I did have the advance curve quickened, but nothing else has been done. There is not too much to an HEI, just replace whatever component has failed and continue motoring along. You did remove the resistor power wire that your '67 distributor originally had and replaced it with a regular stranded wire, right?

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean resisted wire. I understand what a resisted wire is, but I thought the wire going to the coil was just a straight switched voltage. Is this not the case.

I am using the wire that connected to the coil of the six banger that I removed.

------------------
Nathan
TC Member # 1222

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
Check the voltage at the coil WITH THE CAR RUNNING. I bet you have about 9 volts.

HEI takes full battery voltage to operate properly. That equates to around 13.5-14.5 with the engine running. There will be some loss through the wire harness, you should see around 12 volts at the coil connector with the engine running.

As Bomber said, the original wire has a resistance built-in, and is NOT suitable for HEI use. 12 guage stranded primary wire is fine.

By the way, for those like me who rebuild the junkyard HEIs, use the 1894379 distributor shaft if your weights and pivots are shot. That is the service replacement shaft for the ZZ4 high perf. distributor. Comes with a rotor, and costs about $65.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was it. I checked the voltage at the coil and there was only about 7 volts. I jumpered a new switched 12 volts to the coil and it runs much better now. Now that this one is solved I can rest a little better.

Thanks a ton,

------------------
Nathan
TC Member # 1222

1 - 8 of 8 Posts