Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting a 700R4 into my 70 chevelle with a 454. I originally had it in my 69 chevelle with a 396. It worked great in my 69, that is why I want to put the same thing into my 70. During the installation I noticed, I have a larger gap between the flex plate and the torque converter. I called TCI ( the trans and torque converter manufacture) and they suggested that I use washers to take up the additional room, ok no problem. The problem I am having, is with the torque converter bolts are not long enough now. I went to the parts houses in my area and none of them have long enough metic size hardened bolts (9.8 on bolt head). I went to a hardware parts store and the hardest metic bolts they have are 8.8, I want to stick with the harder 9.8 bolts that I have, I just need to find longer ones. Anyone have any ideas how I can cure my problem? Do you know of a car, that I can go to the dealer and get the right size metic bolts that I need? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Mike,

I hate to say this but, I would pull the tranny back out and see if the nose of the torque converter is fitting into the crank correctly. You can get into all kinds of trouble if they do not mate correctly.

Personally I am not thrilled with the response from the manufacture, but not surprised :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bill,
I can see from the bottom of the trans, that the converter is going into the crank and will rotate freely. I did take a micrometer and mic the front of the convertor for the trans I was putting in and the convertor that I had in there before and they were with in .003" of each other. So I should be good there right?
again, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,
I measured the distance between the flex plate and the convertor with a T-gage so I cannot be to accurate with that but I am think I am going to have to use two washers on each of the three bolts. Like I said I cannot get a very accurate measurement with a T-gage but it looks close.
what are you thinking?
thank you for your help!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Bill,
I measured the distance between the flex plate and the convertor with a T-gage so I cannot be to accurate with that but I am think I am going to have to use two washers on each of the three bolts. Like I said I cannot get a very accurate measurement with a T-gage but it looks close.
what are you thinking?
thank you for your help!
Mike,

It's worth trying, I would find a good quality washer to use. Do you have a speciality fastener company locally. We have Southern Fastener. You can use this link to find a supplier in your area http://www.thomasnet.com/compsearch...ts:+Special&zip=27021&radius=50&navsec=modify

·
Super Moderator
13,311 Posts
Mike,
I dont care what TCI says, if the converter will not pull up to the flywheel, then I think something is wrong. If you push it all the way forward, will it go up against the flywheel before it bottoms out in the crankshaft ? How much gap do you have if you pull the converter all the way back into the trans ?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do the bolts have to be metric?
I would just use 3/8" bolts.
The converter is not like what we would normally see on our cars from the factory. What I mean by that, you don't have to use a bolt and nut to tie the flex plate and converter together. The converter has three threaded blocks that are welded to the converter. All you have to do is thread the bolts thru the flex plate into the threaded blocks that are welded to the converter.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,
I dont care what TCI says, if the converter will not pull up to the flywheel, then I think something is wrong. If you push it all the way forward, will it go up against the flywheel before it bottoms out in the crankshaft ? How much gap do you have if you pull the converter all the way back into the trans ?
Bill,
When I seat the converter on to the trans, there is maybe 3/16" between the pump housing bolts and the body of the converter. When I do that, there is a gap between the flex plate and the converter (approx. 3/16"). I can pull the converter into the flex plate and seat the converter into the crank without a problem. I just don't want to pull the converter off the input shaft of the trans. I realize I am talking about a 1/4", but in the directions, it states I should have less than 3/16" between the flex plate and the converter, which I have more than that. This wasn't a problem before, when I had this trans in my 69(with a 396); I didn't have this gap issue.
What would you suggest?
Mr. Bill66malibu
I got some grade 8 washers from the hardware store.
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Administrator
17,147 Posts
Your using the same trans/convertor that was on the 396 ,but now theres a large gap when on the 454 ?
What flexplate's on the 454?

With a 1/4" worth of washer ,you stand a chance of the convertor dis-engaging the pump.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
just my 2cents worth...

Is the flex plate on backwards?

·
Super Moderator
13,311 Posts
The converter has three threaded blocks that are welded to the converter
Mike,
Most factory converters are made that way. I guess one washer between the flexplate and the converter shouldn't hurt, but I would not use any more than that. I would still have to wonder ahy it was ok in the other engine, and now its not ? What brand flexplate did you buy ?

As far as where to find the bolts, do you have a machine shop you deal with ? See if they have some, we have boxes of bolts we save for exactly this reason. Most engine mount bolts etc are the correct grade. I would definitely not use a hardware store bolt :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.