Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer i took out my dash to fix some shorts that i had, i didn't replace the harness, not enough money. Now all of a sudden, my dash lights are going out. I looked under the dash to see if there were any shorts, and i couldn't find any. When the dash lights are applied, they work, but from anywhere from 30 secs to a few minutes later, the fuse pops. Can there be something wrong with the light switch, possibly grounding out a wire, or the dash itself is not grounding correctly? Thanks for any help you can give me.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 Malibu El Camino w/327 (now 355) Turbo 350, Factory Options: PB, PS, PW, Cruise Control, A/C, Gauge Package,12 bolt rearend
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
My El Camino at Fuddrucker's 11/10/01
[/list]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was just talking about the gray wires so there fresh in my mind. Is the Gray wire (dimmer) from the factory radio plug covered. Has a new stereo been installed that wire is sometimes ignored when the plug is cut off. There are also Gray (dimmer) wires that run in the Console (if you have)
If I can remember correctly the chevelle does have a bulb at the Auto staple shifter and some of the older models had an optional clock with bulb.
The short could coming from there instead of under the dash.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the small fuse at the bottom of the box. By trial and error, i think i solved the problem. I removed all the dash lights, and then i plugged one in at a time. One light always popped the fuse, so i will replace it later. Just wondering, has any one seen a factory wiring harness for a '68 column shift auto with factory gauges and A/C? I see it for console applications at many places, but none for a column shift. Would it be difficult to modify a console harness for my application?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 Malibu El Camino w/327 (now 355) Turbo 350, Factory Options: PB, PS, PW, Cruise Control, A/C, Gauge Package,12 bolt rearend
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
My El Camino at Fuddrucker's 11/10/01
[/list]

[This message has been edited by Nathan Abele (edited 02-27-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts